Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Comparison  (Read 5357 times)

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
Comparison
« on: March 22, 2013, 03:12:13 PM »
Here's a link to a good read for anyone who hasn't seen it.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/comparisons/122_1304_bmw_k1600gt_vs_kawasaki_concours_14_vs_triumph_trophy_se_vs_yamaha/

One oversight, imo, for this kind of test is that they never mention luggage capacity. That's pretty essential for a tourer I would have thought and the panniers on the Jap bikes look tiny.

I don't agree fully with their conclusion. I did quite a lot of time test riding the BMW before I made my decision, right down to a last four hour run the day before I put my deposit on the Trophy. Yes, the engine is seriously smooth and makes a delicious sound - but only when revving. It can't be heard over the wind noise when cruising. What comes through all the time though is an annoying whine. The Trophy's weather protection is far superior and the seat is far more comfortable - two more essentials for tourers. I actually couldn't wait to give the GT1600 back after the last test ride. I was in bits!

Interestingly, there are posts somewhere from a guy called eujie who had the BMW for a year and traded it for a Trophy. That kinda tells a tale, doesn't it.
Caoimhín

Offline Canucks_Fan

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1050 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kennewick
Re: Comparison
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 04:18:54 PM »
Seems fishy.  They have the Trophy rated at 114bhp?  I thought the stock Trophy came in at 134bhp?  Either way, I also test rode the K1600GT and found it lacking.  I couldn't handle how much vibration was felt through the bars and couldn't wait to get off of it.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 05:47:50 PM »
We tried the Kawasaki too and hated it. An unstable machine.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 05:02:17 PM »
Canucks_fan, that would be measured on a dyno at the rear wheel. That's not a bad figure. The K1600GT is measured at 128.5bhp - down from the advertised 160.
Caoimhín

Offline Canucks_Fan

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1050 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kennewick
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 06:22:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Caoimhín [+]
Canucks_fan, that would be measured on a dyno at the rear wheel. That's not a bad figure. The K1600GT is measured at 128.5bhp - down from the advertised 160.
Gotcha.  Thanks for clearing that up.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE + 6 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 05:43:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by Caoimhín [+]
They still lie about the specs?

My owner's manual for my 1971 BMW R75/5 says the gas tank is 6.3 US  gallons. I got it completely dry and it cannot even be filled to 5.8 US Gallons.

-Don-  SF, CA
Original owner of:
1971 Black BMW R75/5, 1984 Red Yamaha Venture
2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Blue (the faster color!) Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT/2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio/2017 Zero 6.5 DS

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 08:35:21 PM »
Don,

Not lies, just focusing on a more impressive figure, which the engine probably does produce. By the time it's measured at the wheel however there have been losses due to the mechanicals in between.

As for your tank capacity - that probably was an exaggeration.  Glider manufacturers of the same era likewise produced desirable looking performance figures to promote sales. Subsequent accurate measurements by independent testers usually returned lower figures, sometimes much lower. Things have tightened up over the years with regards to descriptions and sale of goods.
Caoimhín

Offline Quinn

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Durham, NC
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 11:33:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Canucks_Fan [+]
Seems fishy.  They have the Trophy rated at 114bhp?  I thought the stock Trophy came in at 134bhp?  Either way, I also test rode the K1600GT and found it lacking.  I couldn't handle how much vibration was felt through the bars and couldn't wait to get off of it.

Trophy has 134bhp measured at the brochure.
------------
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.