Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy's as UK Police Bikes  (Read 11986 times)

Online sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
Trophy's as UK Police Bikes
« on: August 16, 2014, 05:40:29 pm »
I wonder when the UK forces will start to wake up to the fact that they could be using a British Machine, it would certainly be a good advert. In fact given the budgetary pressures all forces are under there are damn good reasons even without it being British. Compared to what they are currently using and the running costs involved, they could probably save a significant amount on fuel alone. Given that there is every reason why sales to other European Traffic Police divisions shouldn't be considering it too.

I spoke to one of the senior Blood Bikers organisers / riders from the Warickshire division after a recent factory tour. He told me that they previously had used Sprint ST and GT of which they all preferred the ST for its nimbleness but the load capability coupled with the riding position made it less than ideal for the job. They had also used Roadies (Tiger 1050's) which they loved for the job but the style of usage meant they ate chains even with an oiler, so the Trophy is the best of both and a great tool although it has more bulk that also means it has more presence with other road users.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Trophy's as UK Police Bikes
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 08:28:41 pm »
I may not be from the UK but it sure seems to me that the British police could sure use some "Buy British" attitude :028:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Online Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 08:44:39 pm »
I don't know how it goes in the UK but I understand that in France for instance bidding for a market such as Police forces, Customs and any other administration is a very heavy, cumbersome and demanding process that at the end does not seem to pay off a lot! Besides in this country riding the same motorcycles as the Men in Blue is definitely not very appealing for most of the riders
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 12:14:56 am »
*Originally Posted by Verdun95 [+]
Besides in this country riding the same motorcycles as the Men in Blue is definitely not very appealing for most of the riders
Now there is a point I hadn't thought of!
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 07:41:36 am »
That might be true for sports bike guys but for more serious mile coverers I think people often look to see what the police are riding... After all... If you spend all your working hours sat on one then it must have good comfort etc....

I think the whole process that UK police forces have to go through offering their fleet purchases out to tender as such as part of EU rules on competitiveness also works against Triumph. The company would have to dedicate a significant resource to winning the contracts and perhaps the return just isn't worth it for them as the pockets aren't quite so deep as the likes of BMW and Honda
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 10:04:06 am »
Then there's all the work that has to be done to Produce one in
"Police Spec" to meet the Customer's loading requirements,
and ensuring the  Police Radio system, lighting, sirens etc
won"t interfere with any of the motorcycle electronics.

Personally I would like to see the British Police
on British bikes, but I can't see it happening any time soon.

Online sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 10:43:51 am »
I hear what you're all saying but most of this is true whichever make is considered, from that point of view it's a level playing field.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 10:57:29 am »
I was chatting with a guy who is a blood biker and one of the few AA motorcycle guys and he had not really seen a Trophy up close before. We spent quite a while discussing the merits of the Trophy for his 2 roles and he seemed very impressed... whether he is in a position to feedback reviews to his management who make the buying decisions... who knows..... but it would be great to see them out there for that.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

tweedy-bunch