Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: ECU Tuning  (Read 2981 times)

Offline browning

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ontario
ECU Tuning
« on: August 20, 2014, 11:37:54 am »
Does anyone know if there are different ECU tunes on the market to purchase for the Trophy. Usually when you change or alter the exhaust or any other component it changes the way the engine performs.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: ECU Tuning
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 07:12:38 pm »
If you change the exhaust the ECU retunes itself after a few miles. Nothing needs to be done!  :152:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 12:08:09 pm »
And of course, because of the new EU rules, if you try to change the tune without the proper tools and probably authorised codes you will lock out the ECU and have to get Triumph to reprogramme it????

Offline browning

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ontario
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 09:47:09 pm »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
If you change the exhaust the ECU retunes itself after a few miles. Nothing needs to be done!  :152:
Are you sure? My Bonneville needed to be re-tuned through the ECU with any changes and mods. I did it by downloading a tune from the TuneECU website but there are none there for the Trophy.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 10:09:18 pm »
That is what my dealership told me.....

I have had no issue whatsoever since fitting my Remus Hexacone
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 02:24:46 am »
TuneECU does not work on the Explorer or Trophy, as the ECU is locked and will report as an error code if an attempt is made to tamper with it.  I have put on a Staintune pipe and the bike runs better than ever. The ECU does seem to have a learning capacity like many car ECUs, but usually this will only work within certain long term parameters, and not major engine changes.

When I had the ECU changed the dealer said that the replacement ECU was a bit more picky about working, and with some changes the manifold rubbers might need to be changed (he had some on hand just in case, as well as a spare ECU as labour is the killer if the replacement does not work). As the dealer is also a tech and teaches other Triumph techs, as has been around Triumphs for many years, he probably has a better idea than many.

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 03:46:32 pm »
While TuneECU will not work, Triumph generally supplies TOR tunes for their upgraded pipes and aftermarket pipes.  These TOR tunes provide a different fuel mapping that technically is not legal for the road, hence the term TOR - Triumph Off Road.  The ECU may be able to adapt, but I don't think it will create a new fuel map.  In fact, for bikes where you can use TuneECU (like my last bike - 2010 Thunderbird), TuneECU is used primarily to load Triumph supplied tunes.

So the dealer is either wrong and they can load a different Triumph tune designed for after-market pipes, or Triumph has chosen not to supply us with after market tunes.