Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: rear brake pedal  (Read 7505 times)

Offline mastertrophy

• Trophy Member
  • My new solo bike
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy 2014 se
  • City / Town: Hobe sound
rear brake pedal
« on: August 20, 2014, 08:31:06 pm »
I was wondering has anyone felt like i have. and feel the rear brake pedal is too low.

I about raising it up some so it would be more effective...i think if was a little high i would have more braking power .

please advise folks   on 2014 se model..

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: rear brake pedal
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 09:02:05 pm »
I adjusted mine upward. It helped a bit with braking force, but nothing dramatic. I did mine more for a comfort issue. Remember to adjust your brake light switch if you adjust the pedal.

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 09:02:21 pm »
Mine could be higher.  I haven't looked at it, but I got the impression from the other brake thread that you could adjust the position of the pedal.  I just haven't done anything about it yet.

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:17:30 pm »
I adjusted mine upwards and I think it does give you more  power and feel. I had read about people thinking there might be a problem with rear brake power but after adjustment am completely happy with mine. You do need to adjust the switch and both switch and lever are easier adjusted with the side panel off. It has 3 very tight T40 torx bolts. Make sure you have a good quality and correct tool to get them out. They are loctited in and are very much tighter than the 40 nm specified torque. I was quite worried something was going to break or the tool turn in the bolt before they finally loosened. Glad i did this adjustment now.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 01:09:07 am »
*Originally Posted by davidcumbria [+]
I adjusted mine upwards and I think it does give you more  power and feel. I had read about people thinking there might be a problem with rear brake power but after adjustment am completely happy with mine. You do need to adjust the switch and both switch and lever are easier adjusted with the side panel off. It has 3 very tight T40 torx bolts. Make sure you have a good quality and correct tool to get them out. They are loctited in and are very much tighter than the 40 nm specified torque. I was quite worried something was going to break or the tool turn in the bolt before they finally loosened. Glad i did this adjustment now.
+1 :028:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline shyoung1

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Front Royal
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 03:48:06 am »
Yes, I had to adjust mine as well.

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 07:55:18 am »
I am thinking of adjusting the switch as some riders have said my light is not coming on soon enough. Espeacially if you tap the brake to give warning but not wanting any braking force.

It does say in the manual that the Side panel bolts should be replaced if removed. That has put me off at the moment as I do not have any spares be fore I do the job.  Were the bolts OK when removed and you just Loctite back in?

I find the position of the brake OK but that is a personal thing.

seadog
seadog

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 09:24:57 am »
Adjusting the rear brake pedal and Stop Light switch has already been discussed here :
Brake Lever Adjustment complete with Photo's and specified measurements  :028:

If the Service Manual calls for a bolt to be replaced there is a good reason for it.

In the case of the the left and right side "Control Plates" this is probably because the forces
subjected to the bolts at initial installation, and then at their subsequent removal,
( with them having been bonded in place with "Loctite" ), are such that the strength of the bolt
may have become weakened, with an associated risk that if they are re-used, the bolt could shear off  :005:

At best that could be expensive to repair, and at worse could be dangerous  :087:

According to the information at "World of Triumph" the securing bolts are M8 x 1.25 x 30mm long,
and cost £5.06 each. ( Item 11 in the drawing - W.O.T. Part Number PFKL2012085 ).

On replacement they should be tightened to 25Nm,
but will probably need more force than this to undo them because of the "Loctite"  :169:

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 06:59:16 pm by Coconut »

tweedy-bunch