Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: questions on trophy nav and stereo usage.  (Read 4744 times)

Offline droptine1968

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200RT
  • City / Town: N.W. Ohio
questions on trophy nav and stereo usage.
« on: August 23, 2014, 10:27:08 pm »
I test rode a trophy today and have some questions the salesman was unsure of, and I couldn't find any info specific to this question.  I understand that the zumo will connect to the stereo via Bluetooth, and also through an audio jack.  Even though the zumo has a music player, I was wondering if I can listen to a radio station am, fm or sat radio from the trophy audio, and if using just navigation on the zumo, if verbal directions will blackout the Trophy's audio temporarily, like the built in audio player in the zumo will.

Offline shyoung1

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Front Royal
Re: questions on trophy nav and stereo usage.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 03:40:12 am »
Yes, directions get priority.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 03:50:40 am »
*Originally Posted by droptine1968 [+]
I test rode a trophy today and have some questions the salesman was unsure of, and I couldn't find any info specific to this question.  I understand that the zumo will connect to the stereo via Bluetooth, and also through an audio jack.  Even though the zumo has a music player, I was wondering if I can listen to a radio station am, fm or sat radio from the trophy audio, and if using just navigation on the zumo, if verbal directions will blackout the Trophy's audio temporarily, like the built in audio player in the zumo will.
Yes, I often have the XM radio on when using my GPS. The XM radio will mute and the GPS instructions will be just a little louder than the music was. At least the way mine is set up. It will only be muted for the time it takes for the voice directions and then the XM radio (or whatever) returns to normal.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline droptine1968

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW R1200RT
  • City / Town: N.W. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 05:22:42 am »
Thanks guys.  I have to also say that I was amazed at how little wind noise comes through with the windshield up.  The fairing speakers were easy to hear even around 70 MPH, and only around two thirds volume.  My r1200rt is noisy as heck.

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 07:29:00 am »
*Originally Posted by droptine1968 [+]
Thanks guys.  I have to also say that I was amazed at how little wind noise comes through with the windshield up.  The fairing speakers were easy to hear even around 70 MPH, and only around two thirds volume.  My r1200rt is noisy as heck.

Oh I feel another convert coming aboard!

I use the radio a lot and Nav commands come though loud and clear.  I usually listen through helmet speakers.  I have Safety Camera warnings which in UK can mean a lot of radio interruptions if your a little above the limit when in the proximity of a Safety Camera.

The RT's so yesterday, go on get one you know you want to!

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 07:38:01 am »
Yes... I have an Autocom system with helmet speakers so listen mostly through them but as I have the Autocom lead spliced into the speaker wires of the bike to give me proper audio out I can easily just flick the switch to take it back over to speakers...

Sometimes it's nice to cruise along with sound front the speakers but it can be embarrassing if the iPod shuffles itself onto one of of your guilty secret tracks when riding down the High Street! (Last time was Steps 'Tragedy'!  :005:)

The Trophy gives you such an incredible sheltered cocoon of silence it is so easy to do and even hold conversations with pillions without intercoms.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 09:59:44 am »
Hi droptine1968,

Yes there are those 2 options for connecting Audio to the Trophy -
Hard wired, where a cable with a 3.5mm audio socket from the Garmin cradle
plugs directly into a dedicated 3.5mm audio input jack on the Trophy -
This then appears as "NAV" in the Trophy audio menu's / instrument panel.

Or,

You can use the Bluetooth of the Garmin to connect to the Trophy Bluetooth,
or directly to your Helmet / Headset, depending on what it is you need.

There are 2 Bluetooth channels available on the Trophy -
the first channel is used for your helmet / headset,
and the other channel is used for other Bluetooth devices, such as Garmin, Mobile Phone etc.

You then also have the USB connection inthe Glove box which connects into the Trophy audio system,
giving quite a bit of flexibility in how you set things up - this is an example of worked well for me :

• Garmin Zumo 660 audio hard-wired to the Trophy.
  • Helmet connected by Bluetooth to Trophy Bluetooth Channel 1.
  • iPhone 5 connected by Bluetooth to Trophy Channel 2.
    ( allows handlebar controls to be used to answer calls but not make them ).
  • Pillion iPhone connected by Bluetooth to Pillion helmet.
  • Pillion helmet intercom connected by Bluetooth to Rider Helmet bluetooth intercom.
  • Separate iPod connected to the USB input.

If you pair your phone directly to the Garmin, then you can answer calls AND make them
via the Garmin touch screen, but I found that too awkward - with the Garmin screen being so far forward
on the Triumph mount, and did not need to MAKE calls while riding, which I thought would be a safety hazard.

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 10:59:52 am »
I am using the same configuration that Coconut has listed with the exception that I have an Android phone (Moto X). Works well.

I also noticed that the weather band radio will take priority (even if the radio was off) to give you severe weather alerts.
Serial BMW rider

tweedy-bunch