Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: What is the Best US Market Phone for Triumph Trophy SE?  (Read 3365 times)

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
What is the Best US Market Phone for Triumph Trophy SE?
« on: August 24, 2014, 08:44:45 pm »
I have had my TTSE for a month, I bought a used 2013 with 2,600 miles.  I have put 1,000 miles on it as of yesterday.  It is still under warranty and all seems to work well except for the audio, which I find very frustrating.  I love the bike, however, one of the deciding factors for me getting the TTSE vs the Yamaha FJR which was $3,000 cheaper, was the high tech audio/phone system.

I have a Garmin 660 installed with the Triumph mount and wiring, which works as advertised.  I turned off its bluetooth so as not to interfer with any of the other systems.  I have a Nolan N43E Triolgy helmet with an N-Com 3+ system installed.

I plug an I-Pod touch into the USB port and I currently have a Samsung Galaxy phone approx 3 years old.

I can get the helmet paired with the bike on a regular basis, not 100% but 90+.  I can hear the I-Pod, FM, and AM radio just fine.  The GPS overrides the radio as advertised.  My problem is the phone.

I can get it paired every now and then, however, I have only been able to answer the phone once.  All other times when I see the incoming call, the music drops off, it shows the incoming number, the answer vs ignore questions, and I cannot answer by pushing the select button.

I wonder whether or not it is the age of my phone and whether or not I need newer tech to make a consistent connection and to make that connection effective?  I am ready for a new phone and I am not married to any particular brand.  What I want more than anything is to have it work seamlessly with the TTSE.  I want consistent pairing, and proper function of answering and being able to communicate.

Please make recommendations (USA Market Phones) with descriptions about how it actually functions with your bike.  I do not want to buy a phone only to have it give me more grey hair.

Thanks for the advice in advance.
ZShyster

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
Re: What is the Best US Market Phone for Triumph Trophy SE?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 09:01:03 pm »
I had exactly this problem.  In my case it turned out to be the headset Bluetooth.  I had the Schuberth SRCS collar which worked as you describe! using an iPhone 5.

I changed to a Shoei NeoTec with their Bluetooth collar, which is newer than the Schuberth and all works fine.  Once solved it works brilliantly.

Here is my report on the helmet/Bluetooth changehttp://www.davidbadcock.co.uk/2014/ShoeivSchuberth/index.html

Hope this helps.

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 12:41:01 am »
The N-Comm I have is an older model, so I know it wouldn't offer any revelations.  My primary headset is a Sena SMH10, and if your N-Comm + has the same features (I think it does) here is the way mine works perfectly, and it works this way with any phone.  Pair the phone directly to the headset, and if you have a second pairing channel available on the Nolan, pair that to the bike.  You will get phone use that will override the audio on the bike, and it will come back on after the phone call is completed.  The only thing that ever occurs on mine is a need to key up the audio manually if I have the phone Bluetooth on first when I  start the bike to go for a ride.  After the first time I start it for the rest of the day the audio will come up automatically every time I shut the bike off and restart it.  I think almost all current Bluetooth headsets, from what I've seen elsewhere, have capability for dual pairing with an A2DP audio source and a hands free phone paired separately.  Hope I'm not out to lunch on the way the N-Comm + works and just wasting your time.
Ride safe.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 12:31:39 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I will try it this week.  I would like to get the new helmet and bluetooth that Garmin Dave suggests but if I spend another $1,000, I will have to find a new place to sleep.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:34:57 pm by ZShyster »

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 12:33:45 pm »
Garmin Dave, what bluetooth system did you install in the Neotec?

Also could others let me know what bluetooth systems worked without a hitch?

Frustration level is pretty high given the investment.

Thanks Again.

ZShyster

Offline RPDATA

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Whitby, ON
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 04:37:49 pm »

I have a sena SMH10 and works perfectly fine with the bike, as well as integration with my Zumo 550 and blackberry z30. 

I pair the phone to the gps, then both bike and gps are paired with the headset.‎

Offline RPDATA

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Whitby, ON
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 04:45:02 pm »
Forgot to mention. I'm using a Neotec,  as well

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 09:21:10 pm »
Probably going to sound ignorant here but what do you mean by the term Bluetooth Collar?  I've installed a G9 headset in my Shoei but I'm not familiar with the concept of a collar dedicated to bluetooth.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch