Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: A Bluetooth Retransmitter that works?  (Read 4459 times)

Offline racsw

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Rochester
A Bluetooth Retransmitter that works?
« on: August 31, 2014, 01:21:47 pm »
Hello guys,
I'm looking for a Bluetooth retransmitter that works with the 2014 Trophy SE.
Its for listening to XM radio through a pair of earplugs for long trips.   For those not sure what this device is, it syncs with the Trophy Bluetooth system like the Scala Q3 does, receives the XM Radio signal, and  then retransmits the signal to your earbuds via a plug in the transmitter.  The only wired connection is the earplug.
I have already purchased (and returned) the Indigo BTR9, but it simply would not sync with the Trophy.  I experimented with both Trophy channels, but it simply refused to Pair successfully.  (I did get the Indigo to pair with my Bluetooth truck, so it's a Trophy issue)

Have any of you used any other retransmitters successfully on the SE?

They aren't expensive, nor complicated, but the battery life is substantial and gives me many hours of XM to listen to unlike the ScalaRider system which also works, but only for about 3 - 4 hours.

Thanks,
Robert
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:29:55 pm by racsw »

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: A Bluetooth Retransmitter that works?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 01:29:16 pm »
I have used loads but not with the trophy.  The biggest problem I found was that they would not work when on charge.  I do not know why but all the ones I tried did not.  I have got the senna bike to bike radio Bluetooth adapter but that is expensive.

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 02:35:51 pm »
I had good luck with this one: TaoTronics« TT-BA01 Wireless Portable Bluetooth Stereo Music Transmitter. I did not have the Trophy when I was using this with my Garmin (non bluetooth) GPS, but it worked with everything I tried it with. It is supposed to work while charging. I got it from Amazon.
Serial BMW rider

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 01:53:46 am »
Go to the Sena website and look at the SM10.  I used one on a beemer, but I wired it into the bikes audio to transmit to my Sena headset.  It will work while plugged in to power with a cigarette/powerlet to micro usb, or off of the internal battery.  May not be exactly what you're looking for but it will definitely transmit a Bluetooth signal, just has no earbud plug.  Why not get a Sena with the earbud mount adaptor, or the new 20S that already has an earbud plug as well as speakers.  I use a Sena SMH10 with the earbud plug adaptor and Tork Pro speakers that use the same 3.5mm plug and I can use whichever I choose just by plugging in my preference at the moment.  Paired with the bike I get the full audio functions any way I choose.  I don't know of anything that will definitely work with the bike in the manner that is your stated preference.  Best of luck finding what you are looking for, and post it if you do, I'm sure some others here may be interested in it as well.
Ride safe.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 02:15:16 pm »
OK, I guess I did not read the OP comments very well. What I suggested will not work and I agree that one of the Sena headset bluetooth devices would be the way to go.
Serial BMW rider

Offline racsw

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 01:18:44 am »
Well, I have two of them coming, an IKross and a Breett.   They were inexpensive, so if they don't work, I'll just toss 'em.
The Indigo was a well made little unit, but refused to pair.  I Have a Scala Q3 system, but the battery gives out after about 3 hrs, maybe 4 tops.   That's not long enough, which is why I'm looking for something else.
If I get one of them to work, I'll let you know.

Thanks for replying,
Robert

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 02:37:08 am »
Note that we recommended the Sena headset which lasts more like 8 to 10 hrs!  :)
Serial BMW rider

Offline racsw

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 05:58:20 pm »
Well, I finished all my work on this, and as I said, I would let you know how I made out.

First, the ScalaRider Q3.    I tested these units on the bike, letting them play music through the speakers all day until it went dead.
I got 6 hrs on one, almost 7 hrs on the other.  I'm guessing, but it might be extended by using a good set of earbuds instead of the speakers, because the speakers probably draw a little more current than earbuds, but I don't know for sure.   I do have to have the speaker volume up higher than the earbuds, because my earbuds go into the ear canal, and not only block external noise, but it requires less volume being so much closer to the eardrum.  The factory says 6 - 7 hrs playing music is normal expected battery life.

Next, the Breett BlueTooth Receiver:   This is a simple device, but exactly what I set out to find.  You pair it to your bike, in this case, Device2, and within 5 seconds, it starts playing whatever you selected on XM through a set of earbuds.  This was about $20 I believe, but it came with no instructions at all.   But it's so simple, it was easy to set up and pair quickly.

Lastly, the IKRoss:   This is identical to the Breett, just a different name on the case.  If I remember correctly, this one was about $30, so it is possible that although identical, it may have some additional functionality.  (I doubt it, but its possible)
This unit, however, came with instructions.  According to the instructions, it will support two BlueTooth devices at the same time, i.e., a phone to receive calls, and a Bluetooth music system.
You can accept incoming calls, and can dial the last phone number.  And obviously, you are using the microphone on your earbuds.

Well, that's about it.  How long the battery lasts, I don't know, probably 4 - 5 hrs.   But both of these have mini-USB charging ports just like your phones, and will accept a charge at the same time it is playing, which is the way I use it.  I have an external battery pack I carry in my pocket, and I plug it into the back of the IKross, and I never run out of battery.

So the intent of all this is to be able to listen to the XM radio on the bike any time I'm riding.  I don't care about the phone, I check for messages when I stop occasionally.   It's also nice not having that microphone in my mouth all the time, whether it's Scala or Sena.  To each his own.

Ride Safe,
Robert