Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: RADAR DETECTORS  (Read 17435 times)

Offline Trumpetman14

• Trophy Pro
  • You Gotta Love her!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wendell, NC
RADAR DETECTORS
« on: September 01, 2014, 09:22:32 pm »
OK Motobrothers and sisters: I have had it with speed traps!! What is a good state of the art radar detector for our beloved steeds? I would like one that hides under the nose of the bike and isn't easily seen. Help -Dr ron  :183:
Growing old MAY BE mandatory...But
Growing up is OPTIONAL !!

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
Re: RADAR DETECTORS
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 11:47:57 pm »
You will need both radar and laser detectors if you want to be safe. I simply ride with someone who has both! :)
Serial BMW rider

Offline av8or-dave

• Trophy Pro
  • Got Mine 8 OCT '18 - officially in the club now!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 TTSE & '82 SECA
  • City / Town: Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 03:17:23 am »
Truckers avoid being lit-up by the PO-PO Lazer and Radar detectors at excessive speeds by telling each other where the PO-PO are operating, or on the go; with a Citizens Band radio on channel 19.

Well, there is a FREE similar updated SmartPhone APP that can do that and tell you where the PO-PO are, and likely to be, and maybe more (Speed Cameras, etc), because it remembers! So, for everyone else check out the APP called TRAPSTER.  Where the more members participate, the better it is!  Oh, one more thing - not illegal equipment in any STATE that can be confisgated, etc....Check it out!  If you already have a SMARTPHONE, might only need a mount on your ride to hold it in view.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapster_(software)

"Trapster is a navigation social networking mobile application and website, provided for free, that maps out and alerts users in real time to the presence of live police speed traps, traffic, red light cameras, speed cameras, and areas where police often hide. Further, it allows users to record trip data and share it via the web, including interfaces with Facebook and Twitter.[1] Trapster was recognized by Time Magazine as one of the 10 Best iPhone Apps for Dads in June 2009.[2] In addition, Wired listed Trapster as the number 1 application in their 10 Mobile Applications that Make the Most of Location[3] and CNET named Trapster as their number 1 free iPhone automotive app.[4]"

"Law enforcement officials have differing reactions to Trapster, although it is thought to be legal in all 50 US states,[12] and in most countries worldwide. Washington D.C. police chief Cathy Lanier denounced the technology as a 'cowardly tactic' and said that "It's designed to circumvent law enforcement — law enforcement that is designed specifically to save lives."[13]"
Don't pick a fight with an old guy, because if he can't fight - he'll just kill you!

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 04:55:38 am »
Topic has been discussed a couple of times so a search might reveal some additional information you might find useful. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Trumpetman14

• Trophy Pro
  • You Gotta Love her!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wendell, NC
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 01:46:11 pm »
Thanks All! I ordered the Beltronix GX 65 because it is programmable to known speed traps and can detect LIDAR...although the laser tech is so fast you can't usually avoid it the first time, but you can MARK the area where it is used frequently and the GX will tell you each time when you're within a mile of the site to remind you!!! -Dr Ron :169:
Growing old MAY BE mandatory...But
Growing up is OPTIONAL !!

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 09:21:59 pm »
just remember that radar detectors are illegal in the nanny state of Virginia and may be confiscated as evidence.  Below is Virginia Code...

§ 46.2-1079. Radar detectors; demerit points not to be awarded.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect or purposefully interfere with or diminish the measurement capabilities of any radar, laser, or other device or mechanism employed by law-enforcement personnel to measure the speed of motor vehicles on the highways of the Commonwealth for law-enforcement purposes. It shall be unlawful to use any such device or mechanism on any such motor vehicle on the highways. It shall be unlawful to sell any such device or mechanism in the Commonwealth. However, provisions of this section shall not apply to any receiver of radio waves utilized for lawful purposes to receive any signal from a frequency lawfully licensed by any state or federal agency.

This section shall not be construed to authorize the forfeiture to the Commonwealth of any such device or mechanism. Any such device or mechanism may be taken by the arresting officer if needed as evidence, and, when no longer needed, shall be returned to the person charged with a violation of this section, or at that person's request, and his expense, mailed to an address specified by him. Any unclaimed devices may be destroyed on court order after six months have elapsed from the final date for filing an appeal.

Except as provided in subsection B of this section, the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth shall constitute prima facie evidence of the violation of this section. The Commonwealth need not prove that the device or mechanism in question was in an operative condition or being operated.

B. A person shall not be guilty of a violation of this section when the device or mechanism in question, at the time of the alleged offense, had no power source and was not readily accessible for use by the driver or any passenger in the vehicle.

C. This section shall not apply to motor vehicles owned by the Commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof and used by law-enforcement officers in their official duties, nor to the sale of any such device or mechanism to law-enforcement agencies for use in their official duties.

D. No demerit points shall be awarded by the Commissioner for violations of this section. Any demerit points awarded by the Commissioner prior to July 1, 1992, for any violation of this section shall be rescinded and the driving record of any person awarded demerit points for a violation of this section shall be amended to reflect such rescission.

(1962, c. 125, § 46.1-198.1; 1975, c. 108; 1976, c. 90; 1978, cc. 87, 91; 1981, c. 303; 1989, c. 727; 1992, c. 825; 1998, c. 300.)
-------------------------------------
15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 IBR)
16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 IBR)
IBA #609

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 11:05:01 pm »
Thanks for that.  Several years ago, when I was living in North Carolina,  I got stopped by a VA state trooper for an unrelated matter.  He noticed my radar detector lying on the floor with power cord detached from the detector  and detached from the car power plug.  He issued me a ticket even though even though I told him I purposely did NOT have the unit in use while just driving through VA on my way to New York.  He acknowledged I was not using the radar detector but threatened to seize it as evidence anyway.  It does seem to me that VA is interfering with interstate commerce but I am sure that, if it hasn't already been ruled on by a court, that a court would say it was minimally inconvenient for the motorist to stop and put the radar detector in the trunk (which is what I do now when passing through VA).  Much as I love the state of VA that memory remains a black mark.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline av8or-dave

• Trophy Pro
  • Got Mine 8 OCT '18 - officially in the club now!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 TTSE & '82 SECA
  • City / Town: Liverpool
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 10:20:19 pm »
I lived in Northern Virginia (Stationed at Fort Belvoir, VA) and would see the VA police with people pulled over for Radar Detectors right as they came over the Wilson Bridge from Maryland!  Gottcha!

Check this out!
Trucker (Car Carrier) Versus Virginia State Police (read the added comments - LOL)

Trucker Versus Virginia State Police

Enjoy!
Don't pick a fight with an old guy, because if he can't fight - he'll just kill you!