Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Oil specification  (Read 2334 times)

Offline La_gazelle

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Ottawa
Oil specification
« on: September 03, 2014, 01:23:52 am »
A few day's ago I went to buy some oil for my Trophy, but it  doesn't meet the Jaso Ma. They sold me Jaso Ma2. This is was at a dealership... In the owner's manual it is mention Jaso Ma not Ma2. What should I do ? Return the gallon??

This is the owner manual quote:
Oil Specification and Grade

Triumph high performance fuel injected engines are designed to use 10W/40 or 15W/50 semi or fully synthetic motorcycle engine oil that meets specification API SH (or higher) and JASO MA, such as Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 (fully synthetic) engine oil, sold as Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 10W-40 (fully synthetic) in some countries.

Thanks!

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: Oil specification
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 01:59:28 am »
MA2 is a newer specification and should be ok.  As far as I understand it, the MA specification covers both MA1 and MA2, so any MA rating should be fine.  I think that MA2 recognizes that newer automotive oil standards require a  different tests to ensure that the oils are compatable with wet clutches.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs/206%20JASO%20MA-MA1-MB%20Specification%20differences%20MARCH%202014.pdf

If all three properties of a JASO MA oil fall within the limits specified as MA1 then the oil can be classified as a JASO MA1 oil. If all its properties fall
within the limits of MA2 then it can be classified as a JASO MA2 oil. If some properties fall within the MA1 subcategory but others in MA2 then the
product is simply a JASO MA product

Offline Papermaker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Custer, WI.
Re: Oil specification
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 07:44:06 pm »
Thanks for the link saaz.  Good stuff.

--John

Offline La_gazelle

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile