Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: trophey V explora ?  (Read 3781 times)

Offline TT Ashford

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
  • City / Town: Kent
trophey V explora ?
« on: September 04, 2014, 06:40:19 pm »
Just had a ride out with an explora owning friend and had a few observations. Journey was couple thousand miles, through france into germany around baden baden and over to just outside ulm. Then into switzerland through davos and several pass' into italy for track event at mugello, then motorway round to spain. I was riding with pillion he was solo, odd size panniers wouldnt be much good to us. Trophey 1 explora 0. Tank range, thought they would be simalar but no, explora got thursty every 150-160 miles whilst trophey was showing at least that still to go. Trophey 2 explora 0. Motorway speed, set c/c at leisurly and comfortable 90 and mate couldn't keep up, when quized why? said explora was weaving dangerously. Trophey 3 explora 0. Noticed after1st day he was having trouble cutting his dinner, explora had hurt his shoulder, was fine on trophey.4-0. Could go on, and on, but can't help wonder why adventure bikes sell in much larger numbers than bikes like the trophey when they aren't really very good for what they are intended for. Local dealership sold approx 40 explora's in last 12 months compared to just 7 trophey's!  Anybody else got any thoughts?

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: trophey V explora ?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 07:13:10 pm »
I would agree with all the observations.... They are just more fashionable I guess.... Ewan & Charlie have a lot to answer for..... Everyone thinks they need to be ready for the Dakar rally even when they are just nipping to Tescos!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: St Clears
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 07:47:44 pm »
I am currently thinking of changing from the Trophy to the Explorer. I can't fault the Trophy, and as I get older the weather protection is a serious factor. But I took a test on the Explorer last week and really enjoyed it, it does have more of a fun factor. I have always had adventure style bikes and I find the riding position suits me better, but I haven't jumped ship yet!!

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 07:54:31 pm »
I didn't like the riding position of the Explorer, the bars were too wide and put my arms in an uncomfortable position.

I've ridden the Trophy very little since the end of June because its been really hot, but I've ridden it to work this week because we've had afternoon thunder showers in the forecast every day.  Yesterday I rode through three or four hard rain showers and was reminded how awesome the weather protection is on the Trophy.  I just put the windshield all the way up and gassed it.  I had my rain gear with me, but I didn't bother with it and barely got damp.

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 07:56:29 pm »
My last ride as a 2004 Multistrada (similar to an Explorer).  After purchasing the Trophy, I kept the Multi thinking it would be cool to have two different rides.  I sold the Multi, I found every time I rode the Multi I wished I had taken the Trophy.  The Trophy does everything the Multi does, but with lots more comfort. 

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 12:04:59 am »
A couple of my mates have Explorers . I asked them this question and they both said they didnt buy the Trophy because of weight

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 04:04:52 am »
A couple of months ago I rode to New Mexico and came across a guy riding Route 66 on his Explorer.  I asked him how he liked it and he said it was "OK" but that at that moment he would trade it for anything that had 4 wheels.  I didn't think it spoke very highly of either 1) the comfort of the bike or 2) his endurance level or possibly both.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 08:52:07 am »
*Originally Posted by malcolm [+]
A couple of my mates have Explorers . I asked them this question and they both said they didnt buy the Trophy because of weight

Numbers don't tell the whole story - I found the explorer way harder to get off the side stand than my trophy - reminded me one reason why I went off adventure bikes. It is probably a bit more confidence inspiring on bumpy B roads than the trophy but trophy wins on so many other counts as mentioned above , except of course cost .

tweedy-bunch