Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Battery Cover  (Read 6542 times)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Battery Cover
« on: September 07, 2014, 08:13:50 pm »
I tried to remove the battery cover and the screw just kept turning.  The only way to get the cover off was to dremel around the allen head destroying the battery cover in the process.  Upon removal I found this

For those that don't see what is wrong, the barrel the allen head threads into has separated from the clip.  Meaning it just kept turning.  Cheap part doesn't even appear to have been tack welded, just three punch marks holding it in place.  This reminds me of the crummy mechanical designs of the Triumph Meriden days.  I thought those days were over.  In any event I now have a destroyed battery cover.  I am NOT happy.  I will be letting Triumph know but I am sure the answer will be that I should have taken it back to the dealer because a dealer would have figured out a magical way to remove the battery cover without destroying it.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
Re: Battery Cover
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 09:17:41 pm »
Maybe not magical, but if the dealer destroyed the cover then I would think they or Triumph would be paying. What a PITA!

While we are on the topic of flimsy parts; what's up with the use of scrivets? Why would one particular fastener be better served by a plastic pressure device vs a screw and nut? Ex. bottom faring, dash plastic fastner inside of mirror.
Serial BMW rider

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:25:06 pm »
w8d4it,

In case your Dealer doesn't want to play ball :

The offending part is the "Captive Boss, M5, Triumph Part No. T3351111 = $4.41.

The Battery Cover ( Cockpit Panel, RH ) is Triumph Part No. T3351111 = $29.06 ( Total $33.47 )

Those are the U.S. Retail prices, so the cost to Triumph,
or your Triumph Dealer, will be a lot less, and will take hardly any time at all to fit.

I would certainly be asking Triumph to supply them Free of Charge,
as a result of the poor quality of the Captive Boss causing it to fail.

Cheers  :821:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 09:27:34 pm »
azgman,

I thought about that too, and the only reason I could think of was to allow some flexing
at those points, which might otherwise result in stress fractures of the panels
at the fastening points if a more rigid fastener were used.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 09:34:31 pm »
Thanks for that Coconut.  I had no idea the parts were so cheap.  As you may recall my brother is a Triumph dealer, but unfortunately 2000 miles away.  I just haven't had time to call him.  But if retail is so cheap and he always sells to me at cost it probably isn't worth my while to write to Triumph.   I'll ask him if he can warranty them without Triumph's agreement and if not then I'll just pay cost.  At that price it isn't worth my time to ride to downtown Houston and fight with the local dealer.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 09:38:24 pm »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
azgman,

I thought about that too, and the only reason I could think of was to allow some flexing
at those points, which might otherwise result in stress fractures of the panels
at the fastening points if a more rigid fastener were used.

That is a good hypothesis.  I know that on my ST some parts of the fairing are held tight to the frame with allen head screws and other parts of the fairing are joined to other fairing parts by scrivets.  I assume to allow flex
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 09:41:26 pm »
It might be best to add a connector to the battery so you do not need to take it to bits often.  I added an Optimate connector and use it to plug my heated jacket into in the winter and I even made a USB and car cigarette lighter socket with the mating half and have it in the tank bag to power stuff that I can easily disconnect when I remove the bag.

But it definitely something to look out for.  I know the clips move out the way quite easily didn't realise they were so flimsy.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 09:46:03 pm »
Thanks for that tip.  Problem is I hadn't wanted to use an Optimate because I am already heavily invested in "Battery Tenders" as in I have 3.  Doesn't seem like I should have to buy yet another charger just because Triumph chooses to use cheap parts. 
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch