Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Replacing headlights with HID  (Read 7939 times)

Offline racsw

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Rochester
Replacing headlights with HID
« on: September 09, 2014, 03:05:57 am »
I have an Iron Butt ride coming up, and will be driving all night.  I wanted to switch the headlights over to HID.
I'm not sure why, but my dealer quoted a price about $600 to do this.   Maybe it has to have a separate power supply or something, I'm not sure, but I'll find out tomorrow.
The bulbs themselves are around $50 - $65 apiece as far as I can tell, but I haven't done a great deal of research yet.
This is for a 2014 SE

Thanks,
Robert

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing headlights with HID
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 04:16:41 am »
Proper H4 HID kits will be priced from around $100 up for the better ones. The kit will come with bulbs, ballasts and wiring harness which includes a relay and other wiring. It would take an hour or two to fit neatly. I would ask about the quality of the kit as cheap can be ok but you pay for what you get.

I have found that the beam pattern is not as good with HID conversions, so you may have to run the lights a bit lower to stop dazzling oncoming traffic on low beam. The Trophy has great beam pattern so may be better.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 04:58:46 am »
It's up to you but I don't think it a good idea to make last minute changes before making a long ride, especially in an Iron Butt setting.  Bad enough when a new setup goes bad under test conditions.  Worse when it goes bad when a long way from home. But a recipe for disaster under time constraints like an Iron Butt
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:57:44 am »
I've just the Phillips extreme bulbs in my Trophy and I have to say they are a vast improvement as I do a lot of night riding these bulbs really stand out and they are rated to fit the Trophy.  :821:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 03:51:47 pm »
I got a pair of H4 Ring Xenon Max +100% 12v 60/55w which as the name suggests are supposed to be plus 100% bright from autobilbsdirect.co.uk... Only £24 and REALLY bright without any of the hassle of finding a home for ballasts
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline AVI.INC

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hawthorne CA.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 04:05:49 pm »
*Originally Posted by gfxmonkey [+]
I've just the Phillips extreme bulbs in my Trophy and I have to say they are a vast improvement as I do a lot of night riding these bulbs really stand out and they are rated to fit the Trophy.  :821:

I would like to see if you could post the part # for that Phillips lamp.
Thanks
I must be going too fast for too long evey time i get back i'm younger!!

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 04:16:21 pm »
You can get them on Amazon.

Offline racsw

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Rochester
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 10:58:09 pm »
I think you're right.  I saw the kit as I balked at the total cost, most of it is labor.   But the point is, don't make any major changes before a long ride.  Apologies won't fix what breaks.
I wouldn't mind putting in a brighter bulb, however, if the person would post the part number he found on Amazon.

Thanks, guys.