Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: The Green and Adirondack Mountains  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
The Green and Adirondack Mountains
« on: September 10, 2014, 11:46:14 am »
I'm playing hooky and I brought the wife to Shelburne, Vermont for a Tai Chi workshop. This trip had been scheduled for months and I was quite pleased when she asked if I could bring her over on the bike instead of her coming the 300 mile over in a car with the other participants from our area.

Yesterday was almost perfect riding; sunny, warm ~70°F, and a little breeze. Only towards the end of the day did we see much traffic. Unfortunately that concurred with a few of the most interesting roads. Puttering along at 45 mph took a bit of the fun out of it. Also we arrived in Burlington at rush hour, always fun.

Today I'll head up in the Adirondacks while she does Tai Chi, I win!

Tomorrow I'm going to meet with a former student of mine who teaches at Middlebury College. Unfortunately he doesn't ride but I look forward to that visit.

Friday the wife will accompany me to the Adirondacks on two wheels and we'll wind up in the Green Mountains of Vermont for the night, then home on Saturday. I'll try to get some photos posted. Lastly, I looked at my tires carefully yesterday and said "YIKES". I have an appointment with the local dealership to have PR4 GTs installed. Should make for a better ride home. I ask for a price quote; "YIKES".
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Green and Adirondack Mountains
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 09:42:50 pm »
While the wife was busy doing Tai Chi, I took the Trophy to New York from Vermont across the bridge at Crown Point. I then took 9N north until it met up with 9. I then took 9 south to the town of Lake George (yes it's named for that English king). From here I went north on 9N until I got pack where I started.

I endorse those roads for motorcycle enjoyment. Lots of twisty road, pretty good pavement and not much traffic. The exception being around Lake George where there was entirely too much traffic and in general traffic picked up as the day went on.

I do not endorse Shirley's Restaurant in Schroon Lake, NY. Not very good, rude staff.

I do endorse Cyclewise Inc. in New Haven, VT. Though they sell Ducati and Suzuki, no  Triumph, they were quite friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 12:37:42 am »
I'm originally from Upstate New York.  Lake George is just a tourist trap and really nothing more than a gateway to the Adirondacks.  If you have time you should go all the way through the Adirondacks over to the west side.  The scenery on the way is very nice and you might be inspired to stop and hike.  Old Forge, while also a tourist destination, has a fantastic restaurant, the Old Mill where the food is excellent and the service everything you could ask for.  Right next door is a reasonable hotel called the Adirondack Lodge.  Not fancy but good for the area and reasonably priced.   
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:39:27 am by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 01:26:34 am »
I'm afraid that will probably be my only foray into the Adirondacks, this trip.

I was unimpressed with Lake George and the first 10 miles to the north on 9N. But I really enjoyed the other riding.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 06:59:56 pm »
That is too bad because you really went into the least impressive part of the Adirondacks
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 11:22:42 pm »
Today was to be up and over four of the "gaps" across the Green Mountains. I had planned to cross on route 17 but people at Franks Motorcycles in Essex Center told me the road surface was terrible and dangerous so I skipped it. I did cross on 125 but the pavement on east side of the pass wasn't very good. I had lunch at Sandy's Book Shop and Cafe in Rochester and I heartily recommend it. The pass on route 73 was closed. Finally I did go up and over the pass on US 4 but it isn't nearly as much fun as the others.
So an adequate day riding but it was a little disappointing.