Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: My two cents.  (Read 13487 times)

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
My two cents.
« on: September 14, 2014, 02:15:11 am »
 We just returned from a 4000 mile trip to the Black Hills on our 2014 Trophy. We rode two up and LOADED. I have no doubt we exceeded the max weight limit by a good bit. The Trophy performed great, not a single issue. We averaged 53 miles per gallon according to the bikes computer. My Trophy was not all that happy with the ethanol blended fuel that is in wide use in the Midwest. I bought regular gas without ethanol when I had the chance. The engine had a tendency to “ping” in certain situations when running the ethanol blend. I never did grasp the idea of using food for gasoline anyway. The Avon Storm 3D XM tires performed flawlessly in wet and dry conditions and boy did we have some wet conditions. I now have 7000 miles on them and plenty of life left on the tread. The stock Pirellis were gone in 7000 miles. This is without a doubt the most comfortable and fun bike I have owned and that includes two Gold Wings and a BMW RT. I know one size doesn't fit all, but the Trophy fits me to a tee. It's a keeper.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: My two cents.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 07:14:55 am »
Hi NavyDad,

Sounds like you had a fantastic trip  :028:

Cheers for the report  :821:

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 05:49:43 pm »
Yes I agree sounds like a good trip

Glad you enjoyed it and continue to

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 08:44:06 pm »
Yep, the Black Hills area is a beautiful region, with lots of side trips.  I need to return to see the progress on the Crazy Horse monument since I was last there in the mid-'90s. Glad you had a good time and that the TT kept up its end of the deal!

:062:
STONEY

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 11:26:48 pm »
Does sound like a good trip.  I agree that my Trophy also doesn't seem to like the Midwest blend although I never noticed a pinging
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline william

• Trophy Pro
  • its not your beliefs that make you a better person
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Henderson, KY
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 03:35:38 am »
Awesome ride, that is a trip that I will be making in near future...........I have plans to anyway.

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 01:47:15 pm »
There are not many places to buy gas in Texas without ethanol.   I did find one place in Miami, up in the panhandle, and filled up.  It was way more expensive at almost $4 a gallon when ethanol blend was about $3.25 a gallon, but the bike got much better gas mileage on that tank and had more pep.  I wish the government would quit subsidizing the ethanol industry.

Offline paulpaul

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lacombe, AB
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 11:49:07 am »
When I first picked up my Trophy, my dealer told me to avoid ethanol like the plague.  It is supposedly to be bad for all thing rubber (seals).  Here in Alberta, if you get the premium gasoline, (91 octane) it usually does not have any ethanol in it.  It has to state on the pump itself if the fuel contains ethanol and in what quanity. 
I have always run premium in all my bikes over the years and have never had any problems with the fuel systems.

Paul
Paul
1983 Honda V45
1993 Honda CBR 1000F
2014 Triumph Trophy SE