Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: I fell in love  (Read 8397 times)

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 TTSE/14 K1600GT
  • City / Town: NEPA
I fell in love
« on: September 14, 2014, 10:11:48 pm »
We have been dating since late May and now I am in love.   The Trophy is truly a remarkable machine.   Just returned (yesterday) from a 15 day trip to Utah and back from PA along with a 99 Goldwing, 2013 Harley Road Glide and a 2009 R1200RT all solo ridden.   Rode 5489 miles and used 99.2 gallons of gas.   Crossed numerous passes as we covered most of Colorado  including Monarch, Red Mountain, Rabbit Ears, Hoosier and others.   Rode the Hogback in southern Utah and found roads that were remote such as Rt. 72 from Loa, UT to Freemont, UT through the Fishlake Nat'l Forest (absolutely beautiful).   The Trophy was the star of the show, got the best gas mileage followed by the RT, Harley and GW.   Could out perform the RT with ease, of course the other two weren't really a contestant.   The only issue I had was the inaccuracy of the mpg read out.  It seems the high altitudes had an affect on the computer as it said several times that I was averaging 74+ mpg and could go something like 485 miles on less than three quarters of a tank.    After returning to normal altitudes it was rather accurate again, but just keeping the miles traveled for the day was good.   Other than that the bike performed perfectly and was a joy to ride.   Fully loaded with everything necessary did not affect the handling one bit.   Am I happy I traded my RT on the Trophy SE?   You bet I am and I am in love.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: I fell in love
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 03:15:37 am »
Does your wife/girl friend know :008:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:02:50 am »
hope your honeymoon will last for many, many years  :047:  :028:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 09:25:27 am »
5489 miles that's a good test., especially with those bikes to compare. When you say the Trophy outperformed the RT woud be interested in a bit more detail. Also how did the RT rider see things?
Great that you are so happy with your choice - me too -  :001:

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 01:58:00 pm »
Good question I never thought to ask him.   But we did do a pretty fast run across the Hogback on Utah Rt 12 with me in the lead heading west.   I'm sure the RT can handle as good, (I had two), but when exiting the corners I could pull away and gain a little each time.   Another time we were on Rt 12 going towards Hanksville from Escalante (east) with the RT in the lead on some longer sweeping curves and I could gain on him and run him down.  So when he didn't comment after both runs I figured I would let it alone.   I know all riders are different, and neither of us are that good,  but with two equal riders on both machines I do believe the TTSE would come out on top.   That being said his is an 09 and the 2014 RT might be a different story.  We never got to do a straight line speed run so I don't know about that outcome.   

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 01:59:38 pm »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
Does your wife/girl friend know :008:

Neither of them suspect a thing  :001:

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 02:04:22 pm »
*Originally Posted by davidcumbria [+]
5489 miles that's a good test., especially with those bikes to compare. When you say the Trophy outperformed the RT woud be interested in a bit more detail. Also how did the RT rider see things?
Great that you are so happy with your choice - me too -  :001:

Also, David, when the trip started, every time we would fuel up he would ask me how many gallons and it would be pretty consistently 4 to 5 tenths less for me.   He stopped asking.

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 02:47:01 pm »
One more thing guys.   If you have never done it and are near or on US RT 50 in Colorado around Monarch make sure you do the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.   It is spectacular, you ride the rim of the canyon which is around 1500 feet deep and then you can take the South Portage (I think that is the name of it) road down into the canyon.   The road winds down at 16% grade and 10 mph curves, but be aware there were/are small rocks on the road in spots.   I went down cautiously in second gear still had to apply some brakes in spots and was giggling like a little girl.  Also stop and watch the movie at the welcome center.   It tells the story of how and who explored the canyon and tamed it as well as how they built a 6 mile tunnel to get the water to farm lands below, very interesting.