Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Dirty oil  (Read 2390 times)

Offline lionia

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SE
  • City / Town: Willowbrook,IL
Dirty oil
« on: September 16, 2014, 04:53:14 am »
Hi there.
Not sure if it's right, what you see is oil in my Trophy after 400 miles.
Still not due for the first service another 200 miles, but to drive with the oil like this is not comforting to say at least.Any input is greatly appreciated.

Offline Autopilot

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TT
  • City / Town: Bath
Re: Dirty oil
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 08:29:14 am »
i have just had my 500m oil change, and didn't look at it.  although i understand that the oil they put in initially is different to that put in at 500m, specifically designed for running in, so this woudl suggest its doing a bit of a clean up too.

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 11:40:47 am »
I would be more concerned if it wasn't dirty. I changed mine at a bit over 600 and it was pretty bad, but no issues. besides it is under warranty, ride it.

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 01:14:45 pm »
The oil should be somewhat cloudy until your first oil change. The assembly lube will eventually come off all the internals and mix with the oil making it cloudy looking. Sort of like pouring milk into your oil. Nothing to worry about. Now if it is some other color than that, then I would be worried.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline lionia

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 08:20:44 pm »
Somewhat dirty somewhat cloudy that is expected. But to be that dirty that's what's surprised me. It looks like liquid metal. You cannot see thru it.Just wandering if anyone experinced something like this.

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 08:33:27 pm »
That's about what it should look like, brown liquid metal, for lack of a better term. The last ATV I bought actually looked like gray liquid metal. Once I got to the second oil change it is was clear. I, too thought something was wrong, but they use so much white assembly lube now instead of setting some parts with oil or general purpose grease that it is just going to be that way till you get to your first oil change. Just be sure you let your engine warm up adequately so that the lube will dissolve with the oil and flow freely before really getting on the throttle.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline lionia

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 08:52:57 pm »
Thanks for the input.
Hope oil change will clear things up. Just wanted make sure another 200 miles not going to damage anything.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 03:59:44 am »
*Originally Posted by lionia [+]
Thanks for the input.
Hope oil change will clear things up. Just wanted make sure another 200 miles not going to damage anything.
Dirty oil is what proves the oil is doing its job. The garbage is safely in the oil instead of building up on the engine parts. That's exactly what good  detergents in the oils do. All that garbage is out with the ~500 mile oil change instead of being left in the engine.

So be happy!

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

tweedy-bunch