Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Minimal Toolkit  (Read 10578 times)

Offline KaliforniaKook

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sparks
Minimal Toolkit
« on: September 16, 2014, 05:56:35 am »
My Trophy SE didn't come with a toolkit, according to the dealer. I'm not sure I believe him. There are a few tools that are obvious (5mm hex, 10mm nutdriver, pliers). What else would you guys advise? I'm new to the TT.

I plan to use it for long trips (days to weeks at a time). Obviously interested only in what may be required to get the bike to hobble to the nearest town.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Minimal Toolkit
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 06:12:44 am »
Hi KaliforniaKook,

The Trophy should come with a Tool Kit, although it is quite basic.

Take a look here : Post Number #5 for details of what's in it.

Tool wise you don't really need much else for the roadside,
but a small air compressor and emergency puncture repair kit are always a good idea  :169:

Cheers  :821:

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 06:51:26 am »
...and that tool kit should be located directly below the pillion seat, held in place with a rubber strap.  I usually carry a multi-tool when I'm heading out on longer trips, but other than the tire repair kit & compressor that Coconut mentioned, that's about it!  Funny, when I'm heading off-road in my Jeep, I carry enough tools to rebuild the whole car, although I've rarely needed any of it!
 :084:
STONEY

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 07:08:11 am »
*Originally Posted by KaliforniaKook [+]
My Trophy SE didn't come with a toolkit, according to the dealer. I'm not sure I believe him.
TTSE's  come with a toolkit, but if yours is missing, you're not missing much. It's the most mickey- mouse tool kit I ever got with a new cycle. My $4,000.00 Suzuki DR200SE came with a better toolkit than my 22k  TTSE.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 08:03:37 am »
Because modern bikes are crammed with technology there's not a lot to be fixed at the roadside, tyre repair is in my essential pack, also a syphon tube (ran out of fuel twice now!), leatherman, first aid kit, space blanket and a roadside assistance card. Whilst traveling in some European countries it's mandated to have a Warning Triangle, Sealed First Aid Kit, set of spare bulbs, hi-viz vest, the French even tried to establish TWO breathalyser kits!

I now have a Touratech tail bag with these never leave home without items, looks neat and leaves both panniers empty.

Tyre repair is my speciality and I have wowed more than one stranded motorcyclist by fixing his/her tyre at the roadside and now with cars not having spare wheels I can start on them I do this as a knight of the road and the more I do the better I get at very little cost to me.

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 01:27:01 pm »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]
TTSE's  come with a toolkit, but if yours is missing, you're not missing much. It's the most mickey- mouse tool kit I ever got with a new cycle. My $4,000.00 Suzuki DR200SE came with a better toolkit than my 22k  TTSE.

-Don-  Reno, NV

My BMW RT came with a plastic tool to take off the oil cap; that's it. The Trophy's tool kit is splendid compared to that!
Serial BMW rider

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 06:08:07 pm »
*Originally Posted by azgman [+]
My BMW RT came with a plastic tool to take off the oil cap; that's it. The Trophy's tool kit is splendid compared to that!
BMW changed a lot since mine in 1971. That toolkit could just about take the entire bike apart. Tools to remove wheels, even came with an air pump to fill up the tires, as well as remove them from the rims. Tool to adjust steering bearings, swing arm, etc.

Perhaps these days, there should be no toolkit at all. When you buy a new car, there is no tool kit, why is there for a new motorcycle?

A reliable bike shouldn't need a toolkit on the road.

Anybody here use their TTSE toolkit while on the road? I have not.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 06:23:55 pm »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]
Anybody here use their TTSE toolkit while on the road? I have not.

I have never used the tool kit on the road for any of my bikes.  I think I used the screw driver on my helmet one time.