Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Future Trophy Owner  (Read 4929 times)

Offline Nikko

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2010 T-Bird 1600
  • City / Town: Akron
Future Trophy Owner
« on: September 16, 2014, 06:34:11 pm »
Hello Trophy riders!

Please forgive the length of this post but I've been doing a LOT of research and deliberating concerning a new Trophy SE and have finally convinced myself that this is the right move for me.

The problem is that to do so I will have to say goodbye to 2 motorcycles I dearly LOVE that cover a fairly wide range of riding: a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird in Pacific Blue/White and a 2011 Ducati Multistrada S Touring in Pearl White. :159:

The Thunderbird had a sensor come loose under the tank (a known issue), ran poorly until I got it to the dealer who fixed it immediately, during the first week of ownership. It's been FLAWLESS ever since, over 10,000 miles with no incidents whatsoever. I LOVE cruising on that bike; that torquey motor puts the Harleys I used to own to absolute SHAME, the handling is fantastic, great gas mileage.... but no wind protection and I like to ride as opposed to driving, which I do only when absolutely necessary. Living in northeast Ohio means there are days during the winter when it's not wise to ride ! :110: It's already starting to get a bit chilly in the early mornings when my riding starts .... :190:

The Ducati.... is just a complete 180 from the Triumph.... 450 lbs with a couple gallons of gas, 150 (claimed) HP, so it has a power-to-weight ratio that guarantees a thrilling ride. Crack the throttle on it and you better be holding on. It's FAST, handles fantastic, gets great mileage if you aren't constantly punching it, and is extremely practical with the side and top cases able to hold a LOT of gear/groceries/whatever. And it's a tech lover's dream with the riding modes, amazing electronic suspension and other features. But it is NOISY to ride, especially when you're going fast. I replaced the stock windshield with a slightly larger one which cut the wind noise down considerably but it's still pretty LOUD and there's a lot of buffeting, much more so than my T-Bird with NO wind protection.

Enter the Trophy. I've done 2 test rides. The first one didn't completely blow me away but the second one did.
We have some wonderful roads in Ohio that make for really enjoyable riding; we have a lot of really crappy ones as well so I need a bike with good suspension to smooth things out a bit. The second ride really showed me that the Trophy has this covered. The bike was starting to break in a bit during the second ride and I was noticing how much I liked the power delivery: a nearly flat response that just builds and builds! The handling.... can a touring bike get better than this?? I can't imagine how. To say I was surprised is an understatement, though it IS a Triumph...  :038: And that windscreen: putting it up about halfway to 2/3s the way up gave me Q U I E T, even while going 70mph.

Fortunately I'm blessed with an outstanding dealer who sells Triumph and Ducati! I once got a flat on my Ducati, about 10-15 miles from the dealership. They didn't have any replacement tires in stock so took a rear wheel off a brand-new MS, drove out to rescue me and changed the rear wheels out in the parking lot where I was stranded. They ordered a replacement tire for me and swapped the wheels back when it came in a few days later, all for no additional fees other than the standard tire replacement charge.  :062:
Yep, I really don't want to buy from anyone else.

But they only have a silver one and a blue will take a couple weeks to get.
I've decided to wait until the 2015s come out and get a BLACK one..... seems like it will be faster... :156:
I just have to wait until December or so.... :012: It's only a couple more months.... :164:

To be quite honest, reading this forum is what convinced me that I am making the right decision. There are a lot of knowledgeable, helpful and just plain NICE people here that make this group one with whom I would like to be associated. I sure didn't get that vibe reading up on the BMW forums.... :151:
So here's to you! :821: :821: Thanks for having me here!
Nikko

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
Re: Future Trophy Owner
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 07:53:07 pm »
Welcome Nikko! You will love the bike more and more as you ride it. Black should be nice, but silver is obviously the best color, and since it will no longer be available, the most valuable color!
Serial BMW rider

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:00:14 pm »
I bought my blue 2014 in December of last year and I now have 14,000 miles on it. A lot of that has been Ohio and West Virginia roads. It handles them just fine. I actually went to buy a new BMW RT and the dealer had both brands so after jumping back and forth for about two hours I bought the Trophy. I was riding a RT at the time so I kind of went out on a limb buying the Trophy with no test ride. It was December and we had a good six inches of ice and snow, but I have no regrets. I am very happy with the Triumph.

Offline GJ-Trophy

• Trophy Pro
  • Enjoy life but don't take dangerous risks.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: West Wickham
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:04:14 pm »
Welcome  :400: to the forum and enjoy the trophy what ever colour you get. But remember blue is the best and fastest that's why they are stopping the silver. But I'm sure black will take its place in 2015.

Some great information available and some very knowledgable members that will answer any concerns you may have. It took me three months and several rides before I made that final decision to buy the TTSE in blue.

Enjoy the bike when it arrives you won't be disappointed.

GJ-trophy  :001:
1st bike Yamaha DT125, 2nd bike Yamaha XV535 Virago 3rd bike Honda CBR 1000 F, 4th bike Honda Hornet 600 (story to tell) 5th bike Suzuki B-King 1300, 6th bike Suzuki GSX1250 FA. Then comes the cream of them all the TTSE in Blue the best colour in my opinion ....... :-)

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 09:24:41 pm »
welcome aboard  :821: hope you'll envoy the Trophy as much as I do  :028:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 TTSE
  • City / Town: SWFL
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:39:36 pm »
 :400: Nikko.   The azgman is correct the more you ride the better you will like it.

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 01:29:40 am »
Silver is the fastest color although mine will be getting a custom paint job.

I travel every week these days so only 4,000 miles, but love the bike

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 01:30:38 am »
Welcome.
Sounds to me like you're a Northern Ohio Ducati Triumph customer. How does a guy from Maine know about that dealership? I'm originally from Canton and get back there every now and then. I've got a buddy who has been riding a Bonneville but has switched over to a Tiger 800. I'm not sure if he got his bike at NODT but I thinks so. He may have gotten it down at Park Cycle. I've been to NODT a few times just to check things out. Seems like a good place.

I plan to move back to the Buckeye state in the not too distant future, next summer or the one after that. I'm close to retirement, I just need to learn to let go.
Anyway, perhaps a ride down on those great roads of SE Ohio.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

tweedy-bunch