Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: "City" Panniers?  (Read 3290 times)

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
"City" Panniers?
« on: March 27, 2013, 04:48:40 PM »
Hi all,

As I do a lot of commuting and general in-traffic riding I am a bit concerned about the width of the panniers. They seem to be even wider than my ST1300 luggage. At least on the Pan the mirrors are the widest part of the bike so you know that if you can get those through a gap the rest of the bike will be fine. On the Trophy the luggage appears significantly wider than the rest of the bike making judgement while filtering trickier.

Honda did two different sized pannier lids for their Deuville and BMW does narrower panniers for UK police RT's.

I was wondering if anybody knows of slimmer panniers compatible with the Trophy. I know that it is a new bike but I seem to remember reading that the luggage is the same as used on another Triumph model (Sprint?) and thought that a company might have done a mod for that.

I don't want to go the whole hog and go to "full courier" mode (top box and no panniers) as I think a bike of this type looks wrong without the panniers.

Any ideas?

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
Re: "City" Panniers?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 06:32:40 PM »
BP
Your right its an inch wider per side at the rear. But two inches over all aint a lot? you need to be pretty close for this to make a major difference.

I just look at the side of the mirrors couple of inch either side of these and the bike will go through.

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 07:14:13 PM »
Chaos,

That couple of inches can make all the difference (no smutty remarks please!)

Riding in a straight line it would be just about okay, although I often squeeze my Pan mirrors through with no more than a couple of inches to spare, but trying to manouevre in town traffic would be almost impossible.

I remember a previous partner who insisted on getting the full Kawasaki-badged matching Givi luggage for her ZZR1200. One day while filtering through statioary rush-hour motorway traffic she suddenly ground to a halt. When she looked round she found her huge panniers wedged firmly between two cars!

BP
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:15:50 PM by BluePilot »

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:12:31 PM »
BP

I do 100 miles a day round commute and filter through 2 - 3 miles of traffic on the way there. I dont have a problem with the panniers. I have found that I instinctively know when I am not going to get through. I shall have to get a tape measure out to be sure but I thought the panniers were the same width as the bars.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Bythebay

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Collingwood
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 09:12:05 PM »
I remember posting quite a while back that I thought the panniers were wider then I took the tape out I believe they are bang on mirror tip to tip width ...
Live long , ride hard and prosper ...!

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 09:24:17 PM »
On the head-on photos available (can't attach pic on my iPad) the panniers look slightly wider than the mirrors. The angle should make them look smaller than they are relative to the front end. Will have to get the tape measure out!

Cheers,
BP

Offline KaliforniaKook

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Foothill Ranch
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 08:04:11 PM »
As a Californian, I take advantage of (legal) lane splitting frequently. I've always assumed that if those mirrors got through, the rest of the bike was golden. So far, true.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 08:10:03 AM »
If you take a peek at the Forum Page for Trophy Specifications you will find this information :

Overall Width:    975 mm (38.3in) (with panniers fitted)
                        955 mm (37.6in) (without panniers)

Cheers  :821:

Smiles are infectious, and they're FREE !
So if you see someone without one - Give them one of yours :-)

tweedy-bunch