Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Scottish Independence Vote  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
Scottish Independence Vote
« on: September 19, 2014, 09:03:16 pm »
We have many British members from both north and south of the border.
Does anyone care to voice your opinions about the vote yesterday?

I've spent a great deal of time there, lived there for an extended time on two different occasions. I've also visited 4 times in the past 7 years. In fact today my wife broke a nosing glass that I purchased at the Glenmorangie distillery so I'll just have to go back to get another one.

I think the vote was a wise one for the Scots, but I can see both sides of the argument.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
Re: Scottish Independence Vote
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 09:52:25 pm »
I wouldn't trust the SNP. There has always been something fishy about Nicola Sturgeon and Alex Salmon    :745:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 10:55:10 pm »
Having lived in Scotland and with 2 daughters who live in Scotland I am very pleased with the result. It is by far and away the best outcome for Scotland and the United Kingdom.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 11:09:11 pm »
Interestingly I have a few Scottish friends and several English friends.  To the person everyone of them believed the vote should and would turn out as it did.  I thought it would be much closer.  My wife (a Hungarian national) on the other hand hoped for a Yes victory believing it would inspire other nationalities (most notably the very large Hungarian population in Transylvania (Romania) to emulate the Scots. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 03:11:53 am »
My limited observations on the entire process suggested to me that the heart said one thing and the brain another!
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline PaulG

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 08:19:15 am »
That was the view I got from Australia too Bludy L.  While I have no right to an opinion, I can trace my heritage back to the MacGregor clan and my heart was definitely supporting the yes case.  My economist's head however, definitely supported the no case.  Pretty tough decision for the Scotts.  I do hope they can come together and move forward now though.

Paul

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 12:49:20 pm »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
it would inspire other nationalities (most notably the very large Hungarian population in Transylvania (Romania) to emulate the Scots.

don't want to sound too pessimistic.... but for us continental Europeans that could bring back very sad memories such as the Sudeten supposedly wiling to join Germany...
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 03:25:23 pm »
Verdun. You and I agree on so many things but this won't be one.  Remember that France and Hungary were on opposite sides in World War One.  After WWI Hungary had 2/3 of her territory unjustly taken from her.  More than three million ethnic Hungarians were suddenly forced to become part of Romania, Hungary's long time foe.  More than one million ethnic Hungarians were forced to become part of the newly created Czechoslovakia.  Nearly one million still live in Slovakia where their ability to speak and learn in hungarian are restricted.  I've been to Romania many times and the Hungarians there still feel oppressed, still prefer to speak Hungarian, still prefer to be paid in Hungarian currency and still retain their Hungarian citizenship.  The fact is that for many they  believe that 100 years on they are still suffering the injustices of WWI   
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:27:04 pm by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch