Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Is the Trophy Dependable?  (Read 9033 times)

Offline S4 Wyoming

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: none for now
  • City / Town: Rock Springs
Is the Trophy Dependable?
« on: September 24, 2014, 09:23:40 am »
Greetings to all from southwest Wyoming, USA. Thanks to those who are responsible for this forum. I have been in love with Triumph cycles since 1964. Never owned one but am now looking seriously at the Trophy or possibly the Tiger Explorer XC. My concern is that I literally live in the middle of nowhere as far as Triumph dealer location. It is about 400 miles, round trip, to nearest. I would like to solicit opinions whether these bikes are dependable. Many posts here and in other forums regarding dependability(or more clearly, the lack thereof) don't engender much confidence. Also, please keep in mind that the distance between civilized out-posts can be measured in the hundreds of miles. I realize any mechanical thing can have issues but some are less prone to problems than others.  I WANT a Triumph, but I NEED mile after mile of reliability.  That you in advance. I don't mind being flamed but I honestly don't know about the brand's dependability. My other choices are tilted toward various Japanese brands due to local dealer accessibly.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: Is the Trophy Dependable?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 09:41:25 am »
Hi.

The majority of owners have had no real issues. Some of us though, have had real lemons! In fairness there are always a few bad apples in each cart so to speak.

I suspect with all the issues sorted by Triumph, you shouldn't have any problems (and this is from someone who got rid of his after all sorts of issues).
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 11:04:17 am »
Most of the issues have been annoying but minor. The bike won't leave you stranded at the side of the road like some other manufacturers common faults. The only problem I see you having and is the same for all modern bikes you will have to visit the dealer occasionally for any updates or changes to the software but major services are 20k miles apart better than any other manufacturer. 

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 11:32:47 am »
Hi. I was in your area on my Trophy just a couple of weeks ago, some pretty country out there. I have 14,000 trouble free miles on my 2014 blue Trophy.

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 12:21:38 pm »
Welcome,

I am one who has had a few problems with my 2013 TTSE. My battery has failed three times. Initially, after less than a month of ownership, the dealer told me that Triumph is infamous for installing poor quality batteries and replaced it. (I think that was a crock of ### to get me to go away). The second battery lasted 9 months and they thought it was just a failed battery. Thanks to people here and some observations I had made I was convinced it was problems with the audio system. They gave me a new battery and it only lasted 4 days. Obviously something was a miss. They picked up my bike and after a little testing, they concurred that it was a bad audio system which they are replacing even as I write.

My feeing is that most of these sorts of problems are associated with early Trophies. For example my friends 2014 Trophy has been totally problem free.

Have you taken one for a test ride? Get a 2015 and any issues you have will be minor.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 12:35:21 pm »
Hi S4 and welcome.... don't worry, we are a friendly bunch in here and no-one will 'flame' you for a very reasonable question when reseraching a purchase considering your circumstances! :400:

From my personal experience I now have around 12,000 miles of essentially trouble free and HIGHLY enjoyable riding. Yes, there have been some issues and recalls but nothing that HAD to be sorted immediately and prevented me riding. What has needed to be done has been done in a sensible scheduled fashion around me and not as an 'emergency'.

That said, the only certainities in life are death and taxes and there have been a few individuals who have experienced such problems that they have, quite rightly, thrown in the towel and moved on.

I don't think I am worng though in saying that they are very much in the minority.

If you read the internet about any given model you will read horror stories. I believe everyone in here tries to give as balanced a response as possible but at the end of the day it will ultimately be your call. I would strongly recommend that you take a test ride as soon as you are able and make the decision! In the mean time we will do what we can to help your deliberations! :152:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Too many!
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 01:36:11 pm »
From my own experience of Triumph (3 different Triumphs owned since 1995), then the Triumph would be my bike of choice if stuck 400 miles from my nearest dealer of any kind!

In 19 years of continually owning Triumphs, none have left me stranded and any issues there have been, all have been very minor. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for any of the Hondas, Yamahas or Suzuki's previously owned and kept for much shorter periods of time than any of the Triumphs.

My current Explorer has only done 14,000 miles in 15 months, but the only issue I've had has been a radiator top hose that needed tightening after a very minor coolant leak. I fully expect to still be running this bike in another 10 or 15 years, with a mileage comfortably into 6 figures.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:38:57 pm by RedMerle »
‘13 Tiger 1200 Gold/Red  - 2013 to date
‘14 Trophy 1200 SE Silver - 2021 to date
‘15 Trophy 1200 A1 Pacific Blue - 2020 to date (for sale soon)
‘15 Trophy 1200 SE Ruby Red - 2021 to date

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 02:52:32 pm »
Welcome to the Forum :400:  I am a loyal Triumph rider.  Been riding Triumph since 1968.  Really like my Trophy.  Having said that I cannot, with a straight face, say the Trophy has been trouble free.  In 14000 miles the bike has suffered from every malady covered by both recalls and Technical Service Bulletins.
1) twice in the middle of heavy traffic on the interstate suffered the dreaded engine cut out which both times did almost get me killed and contrary to other posts, left me stranded by the side of the road.  ECU recall has apparently cured that
2) head recall was done
3) battery needed to be replaced
4) clutch sensor failure left me without shift indicator for weeks while a replacement was shipped.  Because bike always thought it was in first gear the traction control light displayed continually
5) off and on radio problems which continue to this day.  the radio works when it wants to.
6) center stand recall was done

Despite all this I still really like the bike, but trouble free ...not by a long shot
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch