Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Failure to start!  (Read 46231 times)

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Failure to start!
« on: September 27, 2014, 06:21:41 pm »
Hi everyone,

Seeking advice. Away from home for a bike club weekend. Bike has been running sweet all weekend. Last stop of the day before heading to the hotel bike refuse to start. All dash indications normal but not even an attempt to turn over and fire.
No trouble on any of the previous starts EVER fired first time every time.

We managed to bump start it  which suggests that a things like immobiliser, side stand switch, clutch switch and kill switch are probably OK.
Got back to the hotel parked up and tried to start, but again not a sausage. Feels like it might be a starter motor failure. Obviously not got my service manual with me. Any one with any great ideas? Is there a fuse to check and if so where is it?

Very embarrassing as here with 60 other bikes and the Trophy is the only one to have let anyone down! :148:

Thanks,

Kevin
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Re: Failure to start!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 07:02:35 pm »
Cropbiker
Sorry to hear about this. I am offshore at present so I too do not have my service manual.

I can only start the ball rolling. Could this be a starter solenoid sticking problem as if it is not turning over. Has there been any way wireing could have become loose to the starter.

You say you don't think it is any of the sensors. If it is bounce starting. Or it is a mechanical fault within the starter. In the older days you would usually suspect a broken bendix spring.

Sorry I cannt help further. Best of luck buddy.

seadog
seadog

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 07:03:00 pm »
OUCH!  Now that is crappy..

I think there was a thread on this already, something to do with loose cable connecting to the starter button or similar I vaguely recall

G
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 07:18:28 pm »
I did change the headlight bulbs Friday. But have started a dozen times or so since.
I think the kill switch us fine. I tried flicking the switch a few times and left it in the kill position the first time we tried to bump start. I noticed that and put it back to run and then it bumped on the first attempt.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 08:34:06 pm »
Cropbiker

Again my opinion. Is the or can you hear if the solenoid is trying to engage ie a clicking noise. At least that would tell you , you have power to the solenoid. If nothing can be heard I would think no power from the starter switch either a loose or broken wire.

Hope you get it sorted. At least you know the bike is running on a bump start so it could be something simple. Not sure how simple it is to get to the wiring on the starter if stuck with only basic tools?

seadog
seadog

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 08:58:19 pm »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
Hi everyone,

Seeking advice. Away from home for a bike club weekend. Bike has been running sweet all weekend. Last stop of the day before heading to the hotel bike refuse to start. All dash indications normal but not even an attempt to turn over and fire.
No trouble on any of the previous starts EVER fired first time every time.

We managed to bump start it  which suggests that a things like immobiliser, side stand switch, clutch switch and kill switch are probably OK.
Got back to the hotel parked up and tried to start, but again not a sausage. Feels like it might be a starter motor failure. Obviously not got my service manual with me. Any one with any great ideas? Is there a fuse to check and if so where is it?

Very embarrassing as here with 60 other bikes and the Trophy is the only one to have let anyone down! :148:

Thanks,

Kevin
Did you make any sharp turns just before this happened? Lock the handlebars or have them at the extreme end? IOW, could have the starter wire pulled out as happened to some others here?

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 09:41:03 pm »
Hi

My TT is fine but  friend of mine had a similar problem. It turned out to be the positive connection to the battery. When he tried to tighten the bolt it was tight. On closer inspection he could move the connector on the battery pole even thought the bolt was tight.

It turned out that there was a washer missing and the bolt was too long, bottoming out on the battery case before it clamped up the connector. He fitted a washer and all was well.

Worth a look  :028:
It wasn't me !!

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 01:34:25 am »
It's a long shot but are you sure the neutral indicator is correct?  There was a TSB on the shifting sensor.  Mine made no effort to start unless the side stand was up.  You ruled out the sensor but of course your side stand would be up when you did the bump start.  So even if the sensor was bad it (eg reading in gear) it would still start.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 01:38:28 am by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST