Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Stock front tire (tyre) problem  (Read 11855 times)

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Stock front tire (tyre) problem
« on: October 03, 2014, 09:26:38 am »
My 11 month old TTSE (since purchased new) now  only has 6,600 miles / 10,700 km.  It looks like my stock front tire already needs to replaced. Not much thread left, and every three inches, on each side, all one inch from the center of the tire, there is a little bump, all around the tire. Can be seen in the light as well as felt by hand. What is causing this?

The rear tire has little wear and looks fine. Both tires are the tires that came with the bike.

The tires always had the correct psi, and I usually ride like a little old lady. Slow in turns compared to most other riders.

I am surprised the front is showing problems so much faster than the rear. How many miles should I expect out of the stock front tire? And rear?

And what do most here replace the stock tires with?

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
Re: Stock front tire (tyre) problem
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 11:17:40 am »
sounds curious - got any photos?

swapped my front and rear at 7200 miles for michelin PR4's, and I'm so glad I switched from the stock tyre.

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 11:35:44 am »
Front tyre (OEM Pirelli) changed at 12500 kms (7800 miles) was totally worn out, replaced by Avon Strom 3D XM, now close to 21 000 kms (13000 miles) and still looks very good!
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline LongRanger

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 12:14:15 pm »
My first thought on the bumps and strange wear pattern is it is normal tire wear. I live in Appalachia and braking, especially downhill will cause cupping, even severe supping. No matter what bike or tire I get the same results. Poor me, I'm still racing around on a Honda ST1100 which weighs a few pounds more than the Trophy which is not enough to vary the results. I've had the same problem on other tires when riding older BMW airheads, newer VFR 800, etc. Some tires are worse for this but I get similar results no matter the brand, compound or tread pattern. Metzler Lazer one of the worst for showing the effect.  :152:I also keep riding those tires until I hit the wear bars and do not seem to notice any problems until I wear the tire to the bars. I just removed a rear PR3 that is showing 1 inch wide thread on the right side (one would expect the left side) around the circumference. That tire did effect cornering, more drift!  :152:

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 04:51:34 pm »
I can't explain the wear pattern, but my front and rear Pirellis were shot at the 7000 mile mark. I too have replaced them with the Avon Storm 3D XMs and I like them a lot. Good tire for wet and dry roads. On a recent long trip our Trophy was ridden two up and loaded heavily and I noticed the front tire seemed to be wearing quicker than the rear. Nothing strange, nice even wear all around, just a bit quicker than the rear. I have had this happen before, always on the heavier bikes I have owned.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 06:35:26 pm »
*Originally Posted by venomyellow [+]
sounds curious - got any photos?

swapped my front and rear at 7200 miles for michelin PR4's, and I'm so glad I switched from the stock tyre.
The photo came out better than I expected. Look at the bump on the upper right side of the photo (left side of tire). These are evenly spaced all around the tire, every three inches.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:44:11 pm by DonTom »
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline AVI.INC

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hawthorne CA.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 06:46:53 pm »
I to made the switch to Michelin PR4's 40 psi front 42 rear and all is good @ 7000 miles.
I must be going too fast for too long evey time i get back i'm younger!!

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 06:51:43 pm »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]
The photo came out better than I expected. Look at the bump on the upper right side of the tire. These are evenly spaced all around the tire, every three inches.

-Don-  Reno, NV

My front looked exactly like that.  8,000 miles on Dunlop Roadsmart 2.  Just fitted a new front and rear Roadsmart 2. Very happy with this tyre, used them on my previous bike, Kawasaki GTR1400 (Concours). Used to get about 7,000 from a rear and 14,000 on the front.  Our local Police FJR's run Dunlop Roadsmart 2's.

I like the idea of a dual compound tyre.  The bike rides so much better with new rubber and for £230 to £300 fitted a small price to pay for my enjoyment, £0.05 worse case per mile.  All part of the cost of running a bike.

In my view scrimping on good rubber reduces your enjoyment and with such a small contact patch to the road needs to be the best you can get.

Ride safe out there it's a jungle!

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE