Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: ABS feedback  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Scotty

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Edmonton
ABS feedback
« on: October 04, 2014, 07:21:31 pm »
Hello ... Can anyone tell me what the feedback is when the ABS kicks in.  I was testing my bike after having new pads installed and when I came to a fast stop,  on some occasions,  I could feel pulsing in the front brake lever.  I have never experienced ABS on the Trophy before and am trying to get a sense for what I should expect.  If this is not right I am going to leave the bike at the dealership to deal with the problem.  Thanks

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: ABS feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 09:40:10 pm »
My "two pennies worth" .....

If the brakes stop you nice and quick when you brake hard - that's about all you need to know !

I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to "test " that the ABS works, on either wheel ...
There are computerised sensors that constantly check and will tell you if the system isn't working.

If you are unfamiliar with how ABS works, in simple terms there is a sensor on each wheel,
connected to the ABS "computer".
If the computer senses that one wheel is about to lock up, and start skidding,
for example because it can "see" that the other wheel is still turning,
then the brake pressure to the affected wheel will be released for a fraction of a second
to allow it to continue turning.
The brake pressure will then be immediately re-applied, and released, and re-applied
many times a second, so that maximum braking efficiency is achieved without the wheel locking up. 

The mechanics behind this are the ABS pump which has a set of valves that can be opened and closed rapidy,
( by the computer ) allowing the brake pressure to each wheel to be altered as neccessary.

In practice this results in a rapid "hammering" effect - and though I have not experienced it myself on the Trophy,
I would imagine that you certainly would feel the "pulsing" through the brake lever ( or brake pedal for the rear wheel ).

Hope that helps !  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Offline Scotty

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 11:09:49 pm »
Thanks Coconut... I should have been a bit clearer in my original post.  I was not trying to get the ABS to kick in on the bike.  I was testing to see if new brake pads fixed the issue I was having with the front end juddering when stopping from a high speed.  They confirmed the rotors were fine so suggested brake pads may be the issue and replaced them.  I took the bike out for a run today to test the fix....

Result:  it did reduce the juddering.  However on one or two of the tests I did get a pulsing feeling as if ABS had kicked in.  I felt it in the front brake lever as well.  I did not think I was actually hammering the brakes hard enough to make the ABS kick in so I was concerned there was another issue.  It did not do it every time and I think it wen away.  When I returned to the dealer they also thought this strange... Therefore the bike is still in the shop.  They seemed perplexed.... I am not sure where to go from here.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 09:14:24 am »
No worries Scotty,

My reply was aimed at anyone else reading it too :028:

From the Owners Handbook ( Page 102 ) :

Normally, the rider will perceive ABS operation
as a harder feel or a pulsation of the brake lever and pedal.
The ABS is not an integrated braking system;
it controls both the front and rear brakes independently,
so this pulsation may be felt in the lever, the pedal or both.

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 09:36:16 am »
My Abs has kicked in a few times when braking into a stop over ripples (car does it as well) it feels more mechanical/flattery than pulsing. I have never had it kick in even with hard braking on normal surfaces

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 11:11:00 am »
Had the ABS kick in once, its very smooth on the TT compared to other bikes Ive owned.

BTW - ABS is based on the theory of cadence braking...
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

tweedy-bunch