Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: HOW TO : Add a charging lead with voltage monitor  (Read 6458 times)

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
HOW TO : Add a charging lead with voltage monitor
« on: October 05, 2014, 08:44:51 pm »
Having used CTek Battery chargers / conditioners for years, I'm very keen on them.

I have on previous bikes used the standard supplied quick connect fixed charging lead, just tucked it away when not in use. On others I have also used the panel mounted quick connect which has a built in battery condition indicator which works very well as well as being reassuring before you attempt to start the bike and with older bikes monitor the charging circuit while riding.

But didn't want to hack into the panels on the Trophy so decided to use the third option to avoid having to continually removing the panel for out of use charging or checking the battery, the panel is bound to get broken eventually and quite possibly the one day I decide to go on a longer trip without checking the day before it'll be the day when the battery decides to retire.

CTek have an optional accessory that's not commonly known about, it's almost the same as the standard supplied fixed quick connect but with the monitor facility built in like the panel mount unit. It is bizarrely named CTEK 56-382 M8 Comfort Indicator Eyelet and is not very expensive at £7.19 + shipping.

The moulded lead is long enough to route from the right mirror recess to the battery (for battery access and disconnection please see "Battery Removal HOW TO") allowing the connection with the built in monitor to reside there for easy access. It's also a perfect size to be mounted using a bit of velcro under the mirror shroud. This allows you not only to reach it easily for charging and checking but if positioned just right the flashing LED's can be seen without even pulling the mirror back, in fact it can be seen while riding but it's not really intrusive.

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Re: HOW TO : Add a charging lead with voltage monitor
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 09:24:21 pm »
sin-tiger

After all the posts on low voltages ect I was thinking the same and have looked at the plug in monitors. This seems a good option. Does this go direct from the battery therefore it is on all the time so you would have to have it charging or the engine running.

Most info I have seen is, is to wire it via a live switch which is not drawing any current when the ignition is switched off.

I like the idea tho and worth further investigation.  Think it would be a good addition to the computer to be able to scroll through and check the battery condition.

seadog
seadog

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 09:31:26 pm »
It is a direct connection to the battery (Via a W/T Fuse) so yes it's on all the time.

The LED is a brief flash every few seconds only, I seem to remember that after a period of steady state (i.e. engine NOT running) the flash period is reduced but can't remember where, the power consumption is negligible. I have left a bike with the panel mount unit for at least three weeks and it must have had very little effect as it was still green when I came back. Time will tell with the Trophy, although fitting an in line switch would be an easy mod, just something else to fail though.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 09:33:42 pm by sin_tiger »

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 09:33:29 pm »
Thanks. Will look into this.

seadog
seadog

Offline Dmcfadyen

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE Silve
  • City / Town: Livingston
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 09:18:53 pm »
I'm just about to call time on this season. 1st year with the Trophy and very pleased with it. I intended to buy the optimate adaptor from triumph that plugs into the socket on the side of the bike or have I mis-read something. Would that not be the easy option rather than attaching a permanent cable to the battery?

Thanks, donald

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 08:01:17 am »
Six and two threes as far as actual charging as convenience goes.

I went this way because I already had the chargers and have had excellent experience with them and I like being able to monitor the battery condition at any time.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 06:42:49 pm »
*Originally Posted by Dmcfadyen [+]
I'm just about to call time on this season. 1st year with the Trophy and very pleased with it. I intended to buy the optimate adaptor from triumph that plugs into the socket on the side of the bike or have I mis-read something. Would that not be the easy option rather than attaching a permanent cable to the battery?

Thanks, donald

I've used an Optimate charger for many years now, on previous bikes I had/fitted a car ciggy socket in a fairing pocket , that made it dead easy to hook up every evening I garaged a bike,.....obviously I did cut off Optimate's original rectangular connector and wired the 'male' ciggy part in it's place.

I've just bought the adaptor below so that I can hook up the Trophy via that funny sized socket that's by my left leg. :008:

http://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/specials/hella_91853   

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 09:06:14 pm »
Thanks for posting the information on that useful piece of kit Niall  :028:

tweedy-bunch