Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Battery disconnection anything to look out for.  (Read 3022 times)

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Battery disconnection anything to look out for.
« on: October 05, 2014, 09:58:43 pm »
I am the kind of person who uses " if its working don't mess with it" however just recently there have been a lot of thread reference low voltages and then with Cropbikers recent problem.

My question if you have to disconnect the battery for any reason. Does this affect any of the programmes and does it have to be reset with the dealer tool or by the dealer.?

I don't mind small electrical jobs but not that experienced in major electrics. More understanding of mechanics. I do have a good dealer but also like to know my own bike for on the road fixes.

All comments welcome

seadog
seadog

Offline Theo

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Prince George
Re: Battery disconnection anything to look out for.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 11:13:32 pm »
Seadog,
Just be sure your ignition key is turned off when disconnecting or connecting the battery.  After reconnecting the battery, you may have to reset certain parameters on your trip computer display and suspension adjustment profiles, but nothing requiring the dealer scan tool or Dealer Tool as far as I have experienced.

Theo
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 01:55:59 am »
*Originally Posted by seadog [+]
I am the kind of person who uses " if its working don't mess with it" however just recently there have been a lot of thread reference low voltages and then with Cropbikers recent problem.

My question if you have to disconnect the battery for any reason. Does this affect any of the programmes and does it have to be reset with the dealer tool or by the dealer.?
The only things I recall that changed was the fuel gauge and cruise control. No change with radio memory or anything else. My TTSE battery was removed for two days.

When reconnected . . .

Fuel gauge  said empty with a full tank until I rode the bike a few miles and then it was back to normal.

Cruise control (which I rarely use) seemed to vary speed going up and down hills a lot more than usual. Big hills on hwy 395 between my two Reno homes which made the change obvious.  After a few more miles and the next day, the cruise control was back to normal on these same hills--then very steady.

-Don- Reno, NV
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 02:11:15 am by DonTom »
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 02:07:34 am »
When reconnecting the battery, also make certain that the battery terminal bolt is tightened down very securely. I experienced some electrical issues with the radio after one of the service mechanics apparently didn't do that, even though the engine still started right up and everything else was fine.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 02:49:41 am »
Thanks guys for the replies.

Back home next week so will check a few things out but get as much riding in as poss. :001: once I get my land legs back :008: :008:

seadog

seadog

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 01:38:31 pm »
with the weather we are now getting sea-legs might be better?  Ok not too bad but after September it is a shock.

Offline rwright13

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Oklahoma
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 05:28:45 pm »
I just installed a Battery Tender connector to the battery terminals and noticed the clock needs to be reset but haven't noticed any other issues.

tweedy-bunch