3 (2.4%)
Avon Storm 3D XM
8 (6.3%)
Michelin PR3/PR4
80 (63%)
Other Brand
9 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Best replacement tire (tyre) for the TTSE:  (Read 44361 times)

Offline browning

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ontario
Re: Best replacement tire (tyre) for the TTSE:
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2015, 01:58:40 pm »
Has anyone had their front tires cupping on the Trophy. I have 10,000 km on mine and the front tire has uneven wear which started at 7000 km and needs to be changed and not because of not enough tread left. Air pressure was always at specs and I don't like to change tires with lots of tread but unfortunately I will have to.

Offline Mad Dog

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: R1250RT
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 02:44:28 pm »
*Originally Posted by browning [+]
Has anyone had their front tires cupping on the Trophy. I have 10,000 km on mine and the front tire has uneven wear which started at 7000 km and needs to be changed and not because of not enough tread left. Air pressure was always at specs and I don't like to change tires with lots of tread but unfortunately I will have to.
I had a similar wear pattern with Dunlop Road Smart II, which was giving concerning feedback under light braking.  Replaced around the same km as a result.  Pics attached, but wear pattern could be due to a lot of straight road riding.
No such thing as bad weather - just inappropriate clothing.

Offline browning

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2015, 03:05:07 pm »
Yes, my bike also vibrates when I apply the front brake. The tires need replacing before ruling out a bad rotor or the dealer will not look at it under warranty.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2015, 06:07:16 pm »
Yes, my front tire is cupping like crazy. I still have not yet got around to replacing both tires but should. I have almost  9,000 miles / 14,500 KM on the originals.

I don't get a lot of miles on any one bike because I have four cycles to ride. I have been riding my 84 Venture mostly now that the weather has been nice.  I like the TTSE more in the very cold weather and the BMW when it's very hot (no fairing).

-Don-  SSF, CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2015, 10:48:31 pm »

I experienced the original OEM tyres cupping on the front RH side (rear on both sides) at ~10,000km. The set of PR4GT started cupping on the RH side front at ~15,000km and unusual 'feathering' of the outer tread blocks on the rear (both sides). The cup in the RH side front is due to the camber in our roads (ie we ride on the LHS of the road).

The feathering is the wear on the trailing edge of the tread blocks is greater than the front of the tread blocks. When the tyres are cold the rear especially is a little 'squirrelly' in corners; not alarming but noticeable. Currently the PR4 GT are at 17,500km and almost due for replacement as the centre tread is getting close to the wear indicators.

Anyone else experienced this wear on PR4GT?
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline browning

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2015, 12:04:47 am »
*Originally Posted by Travelling2bob [+]
I experienced the original OEM tyres cupping on the front RH side (rear on both sides) at ~10,000km. The set of PR4GT started cupping on the RH side front at ~15,000km and unusual 'feathering' of the outer tread blocks on the rear (both sides). The cup in the RH side front is due to the camber in our roads (ie we ride on the LHS of the road).

The feathering is the wear on the trailing edge of the tread blocks is greater than the front of the tread blocks. When the tyres are cold the rear especially is a little 'squirrelly' in corners; not alarming but noticeable. Currently the PR4 GT are at 17,500km and almost due for replacement as the centre tread is getting close to the wear indicators.

Anyone else experienced this wear on PR4GT?

What tire pressure are you running with the PR4s?

Offline AVI.INC

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hawthorne CA.
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2015, 03:28:42 am »
What tire pressure are you running with the PR4s?
I ran 40 front 42 rear on my first set of PR4GTs replaced them at just over 15,000 miles and not down to the bars but close no cupping .
I have have 3000 on this set all's good.
I must be going too fast for too long evey time i get back i'm younger!!

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2015, 04:09:32 am »
The OEM Pirelli STs were changed at 9400 miles, mostly due to cupping on the from tire, but also due to the reports of sudden wear out on the rear.  Currently 7,000 on the replacement Pirelli GTs, and it looks like they're about half worn as far as tread life, but the front is starting to make a buzzing noise when leaning on the freeway due to mild cupping.  I'm rarely on canyons, so the front will tend to cup.  I wonder in the PR4s will alleviate this problem...
STONEY