Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Howdy, sold my Tigger today...  (Read 1299 times)

Offline houseofcharm

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 07 Tiger(sold today!
  • City / Town: Treasure Coast FL
Howdy, sold my Tigger today...
« on: October 07, 2014, 04:23:40 am »
..and am feeling oddly wistful, unlike selling a boat. Saw an 01 Trophy on CL, 30k, for 2500, looks clean at least in the 3x5 snaps. Question: did the  dreaded sprag clutch ever get easier to fix in later years or did they all need to invert and do a splitsville?

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Howdy, sold my Tigger today...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 04:34:31 am »
Welcome to the Forum :400:  we are glad you joined us.  Although every bike lover is welcome here this forum is focused on the new Trophy.  Although there are a few owners of older Trophies here you will likely  find information on them scarce.  For info on the older models you may want to go to triumphrat.net. But of course still visit with us.  Who knows you may decide the new Trophy is a better choice for you!
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 11:18:00 am »
welcome aboard  :821:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 09:40:51 am by Verdun95 »
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline Silslendir

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Sprint GT
  • City / Town: Camberley
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 08:21:51 am »
Welcome to the forum hope you get your questions answered.
Triumph Trophy 2014-
Triumph Sprint GT - 2012-14
Kawasaki Z750Z - 2012 (3 months)
Yamaha XJ6 Diversion F - 2011 (6 months)
Honda CB900 (then added fairing) - 1993ish

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy & Tiger 1
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 08:31:21 am »
Having many years of experience of the original spine framed Triumphs, I can tell you that the ECU was modified in 1995 to remove most of the stress that the engine placed on the sprag clutch that caused it fail. If I count up all the years that I've owned spine framed Triumphs (owning more than one at a time), it comes to a grand total of 34 years), all with modified ECU's and never one failed sprag clutch.

Buy with confidence, just make sure that you keep the battery in good order. It's not a big battery and is vulnerable to the battery acid level dropping and the battery becoming U/S. Starting with a poorly charged battery may aggravate the sprag clutch.

What can kill these engines is failure to keep on top of coolant changes, where internal engine corrosion can become a serious and expensive to fix issue. Otherwise, 200,000+ miles is easily achievable. 

tweedy-bunch