Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Repair Low voltage  (Read 6270 times)

Offline mastertrophy

• Trophy Member
  • My new solo bike
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy 2014 se
  • City / Town: Hobe sound
Repair Low voltage
« on: October 07, 2014, 10:49:14 pm »
Ok I have asked this before if anyone has the low voltage messages...AndI remember there was a survy about it

And some say its the audio module???????  BUT THE BIG QUESTION IS HAS ANYONE HAD THE DEALER FIX

THIS WARRANTY ISSUE IF SO HOW AND WHAT DID THEY DO????

Offline Abner62

• Trophy Member
  • Abner62
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Morayfield
Re: Repair Low voltage
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 12:27:40 am »
Mine does it. Triumph Australia and Triumph UK have been made aware of it approx 6 months ago. Has been happening for about the last 12 months. Still no solution or fix and waiting for a solution from Triumph. Quite annoying.

Online janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 12:28:46 am »
had this since I got the bike new 32K miles ago.   Nearly every startup produces the low volage/radio off error which immediately clears.  last check, the dealer said the battery, etc. all checks out good.   Machine turns quickly and effortlessly...  My own suspicion is that the computer is set to error at too high a voltage.   Starting always produces a fairly high voltage drop in any machine, and perhaps the TTSE is just too sensitive....   
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 12:32:06 am »
*Originally Posted by mastertrophy [+]
Ok I have asked this before if anyone has the low voltage messages...AndI remember there was a survy about it

And some say its the audio module???????  BUT THE BIG QUESTION IS HAS ANYONE HAD THE DEALER FIX

If you're asking about the audio module getting stuck in a high current drain mode when the ignition is off, I don't think they have yet found a fix for that. But it could even be a software bug.

The "low voltage" message I have seen a few times since I have owned the bike (almost a year) and I simply ignore it. It always goes away after I stop and start the next time.  I don't have a battery drain problem at all. My bike draws less than 14 ma when the ignition is off, most of that is from the audio module, but 14 ma is within reason.

If you see it when you're starting and then goes away, I would not think anything of it.

When are you getting this message? If all the time, that will certainly be showing a problem that the dealer should be able to fix.  If just once in a great while, while running, or if even more often only when starting, like with my TTSE, I would just ignore it.

-Don-  Reno, NV

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:34:46 am by DonTom »
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 01:04:58 am »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]
If you're asking about the audio module getting stuck in a high current drain mode when the ignition is off, I don't think they have yet found a fix for that. But it could even be a software bug.

The "low voltage" message I have seen a few times since I have owned the bike (almost a year) and I simply ignore it. It always goes away after I stop and start the next time.  I don't have a battery drain problem at all. My bike draws less than 14 ma when the ignition is off, most of that is from the audio module, but 14 ma is within reason.

If you see it when you're starting and then goes away, I would not think anything of it.

When are you getting this message? If all the time, that will certainly be showing a problem that the dealer should be able to fix.  If just once in a great while, while running, or if even more often only when starting, like with my TTSE, I would just ignore it.

-Don-  Reno, NV

I agree, I think it is a software problem.  I have a 2010 Acura MDX and when new I would get a similar message when the temp was under 40 degrees.  Below 20F  it would say the battery was bad, see the dealer.  It took Acura over a year to figure out how to fix it and it was a software update.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline Abner62

• Trophy Member
  • Abner62
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Morayfield
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 01:17:18 am »
Dealership has just contacted me and advised that they have approved the replacement of the audio module

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Athens, GA
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 02:26:11 am »
*Originally Posted by mastertrophy [+]
Ok I have asked this before if anyone has the low voltage messages...AndI remember there was a survey about it

mastertrophy - What is your bike doing otherwise?  :084:  If you, like I (and others) get  the occasional 'Radio off - Low Voltage' message and it goes away, I say ignore it.  If you get that message and your bike is dead as a hammer next time you try to ride it (e.g. next morning), I have had the experience that the audio module was bad.  :009:

Triumph (via the dealer) replaced the audio module under warranty.  NO problem.  (And, the bike has been flawless since!)  :002:

Coconut mentioned something earlier in this (or another thread) about the audio module being able to be updated (fixed) software wise by way of the USB port.  That is a new train of thought for me. Computers can have their "hardware" issues fixed by way of software/program patches.

I have been the (probably boring) broken record about needing the "audio module" replaced in 2014 TTSE bikes every time a 'Radio Off - Low Voltage' comes before a no-start condition for the bike is experienced. It could easily be that it is (in my terms) a BIOS issue in the audio module's (read audio computer's) programming.  And, that can be fixed by way of a USB injected programming patch.  It might be the faulty audio module's desire to remain on and constantly hunt for a bluetooth connection - thus draining the battery - can be fixed by way of a BIOS patch.

I would talk to your dealer's technician who is working on your bike personally and at length about this. 

Full disclosure.... I am the resident idiot.  I would appreciate feedback from the forum.  :084:

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 03:43:57 am »
*Originally Posted by PhilInAthens [+]
Coconut mentioned something earlier in this (or another thread) about the audio module being able to be updated (fixed) software wise by way of the USB port.  That is a new train of thought for me. Computers can have their "hardware" issues fixed by way of software/program patches.
Software controls what the hardware does, which can make a software issue seem like a hardware problem. However, if it is really a software problem, I have a few questions of my own. Such as why was the hardware replaced and then it works with the same software?

But even that is possible, as there can be different hardware versions of the module, even if the software has NOT changed and the new hardware version could be more compatible with the flaky software that's perhaps the real problem.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

tweedy-bunch