New to forum and have some questions by RedMerle
[Today at 05:33:46 am]

Michelin Road 5 by Tenequip
[Today at 03:18:57 am]

Major help needed by GarminDave
[Yesterday at 10:30:48 pm]

Hi from UK by GarminDave
[Yesterday at 10:26:23 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Defrocking underway.  (Read 6426 times)

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
Defrocking underway.
« on: October 09, 2014, 02:03:51 pm »
Had some spare time today so I removed the front/rear side reflectors as I don't think they're a UK requirement - & - they make cleaning more awkward, while down at the front I notice the horn is too low down and maybe prone to muck etc. so moving that and maybe adding another for a "twin horn" effect will be the next job... :007:
Investigating new position up by radiator top, one either side similar to my old FJR.
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Athens, GA
Re: Defrocking underway.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 01:23:49 am »
RocketSteve - If moving your horn and adding a second makes it so you can hear the horn more than 3-feet away (and doesn't fry the horn switch in the process) please share pictures and descriptions of your doings.  :169:

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 04:55:13 am »
If you are into it that deep you may want to consider a new horn set up.  Do a sear for Fiamm and you will see a nice inexpensive set up.  (Not mine).  I can tell you from personal sad experience not to go with the Wolo Bad Boy.  Mine lasted less than a week.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 12:20:04 pm »
I'll gleam the wattage detail from the rear of the horn when I get to removing it and see if I can find another of similar or less power at lower Hz, might need a relay but easy to fit and will post pics Phil.

Depth of muck can be a problem in the South West with farmers, cows & muddy lanes etc. so moving horns upwards might be a wise move with "prevention rather than cure", I imagine we have enough wire down there to bring the horn up to the rad top and a rouge bolt nearby to fix it... :002:

Offline strathroy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Strathroy
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 11:49:02 am »
I purchased the fram horn kit it came with two horns the same size as the original and a small relay. I connected straight to the battery for power (so that it's always powered with inline fuse) and left the original horn where it was the two new horns are mounted in the same vicinity and then connected all three to the solenoid. Cheap works great and loud.

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 02:19:44 pm »
Update:
Twin horn set has arrived ultra quick from Alchemy Parts for only £13.45 and have checked the spec.

Both ring out at 113dB, one at 510Hz and the other at 410Hz.

At 113dB this is almost 3 times the loudness of the standard unit.

The 410Hz unit sounds more grunty so I'm popping that one into a nice spot above the rad, photos to follow.

Trumpet have wound the horn cable into the loom and as it's under warrantee I'm reluctant to cut into the black loom tape and free up the cable to reach above the rad, no matter as the horn kit comes with extra wire - sorted :001:

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 02:13:25 pm »
Hope this appears as a logical process -

1st step, remove black belly pan rib. [2 x 5mm Allen bolts] I had to knife the posi-drive plastic fastner under the pan and replace with similar when finished.

2nd step, remove horn [single 12mm bolt] and wire connections.

3rd step, remove trim.

4th step, fix bracket as photo, connect both wires to horn with 2 spades on other end of wires & bolt horn in position.

5th step, connect spades to wire block and tidy wires.

6th step, test horn, re-tune if needed & replace trims etc.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 10:22:00 pm by Ad »

Offline Wayneolson

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Chicago
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 07:36:30 pm »
I have 2 Hella supertones that I bought for my GT that I am itching to mount on the Trophy. They are just so big, that I need to think it through for proper placement.

The location you have for the aux lights: Are those mounting points solid in or on some clips? I have a couple off of my sprint that I would like to throw on also.
Wayne Olson