Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Zumo 590 LM vs Zumo 660  (Read 7906 times)

Offline Harlock

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Torino
Zumo 590 LM vs Zumo 660
« on: October 12, 2014, 04:51:42 pm »
I'm thinking about the possibility to change my zumo 660 with a zumo 590 LM. I hardwired my zumo 660 with bike audio system, and any connection worked perfectly. However my 660 is showing the signs of time, and it is realy time to change it but, before doing it, I need to understand if the Zumo 590 LM can be harwired to the TT exactly like the 660, providing exactly the same functionalities when used with the bike audio system. Furthermore: is the mounting kit provided by Triumph for the Zumo 660 compatible with the Zumo 590 LM too? Thanks for helping me!

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Zumo 590 LM vs Zumo 660
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 06:19:48 pm »
Hi Harlock.

I have a Zumo 590 having upgraded from a 660. It fits with exactly the same connections and uses the standard Triumph GPS mount and does not obscure the info panel at all. The bigger screen and much more modern display is great but for me the extra winning feature is the ability to remote control my Garmin Virb camera from the screen of the 590.

If you need to upgrade there is no better solution in my opinion.

Kevin
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Harlock

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 08:28:09 am »
 :062: Perfect! Thank you!

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 06:10:06 pm »
The cradle looks different to the 660, but as it wires in the same all should be good.  I had a play with a mates 590 and it does have the more modern menu structures of later Garmins (I have one in the car). Various features like working out what POIs are ahead work well and are easier to access.  I might change over sometime just to the consistency of the interface. I used to use the 660 in the car as well for hands free phone, but don't now. The 590 lacks a speaker so could not be used for that.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 08:43:38 pm »
Yes, it is a different cradle... But the same connectors to hardwired it to the Trophy bike connections.

It does also give you a USB port but I don't use that and not 100% sure what it is intended for, probably a memory stick for music.

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 10:49:38 pm »
USB is for updates of maps and firmware (it was hidden under the battery cover on the 660), and it can charge the battery. Have to look at the specs, as it would be useful if it did provide memory expansion.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 06:19:06 am »
Sorry... I didn't make it clear. Yes their is the normal small USB connector for map updates & charging. This has been repositioned on the 590 so it is behind a small rubber flap on the back and you don't have to open the battery flap to get at it.

What I meant was there is a another, standard USB female socket as you might find on a computer on one of the leads in the cradle harness that you can route to some other point on the bike. It has a weatherproof cap on it to prevent water ingress.

Offline Harlock

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 11:28:02 am »
Thank you all for all this useful information. I wonder if anyone of you has never tried this. What happen is you hardwire the zumo 590 to the bike, the helmet bluetooth to the bike like device 1, the same helmet bluetooth to the zumo 590 too and the iphone to the zumo? Do you know if this kind of configuration makes all devises working properly? With this kind of pairing on a BMW you can use the navi on the motorbike both with speakers or helmet but, in the same time, you can receive or do phone calls using navi. Does it work on our TT? It could be useful for two main reason: I could use bike "device 2" bluetooth connection to pair my girlfriend second helmet and I could easily make and receive call and/or read/send messages via vocal functions of the Garmin (with bike not running, of course). If I connect iPhone like device 2, I can just receive calls but often it could be useful for me stopping at the side of the street and making a call or read/send a SMS without taking iphone, remove gloves etc...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:29:46 am by Harlock »

tweedy-bunch