Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: A Grand Day Out  (Read 3536 times)

Offline bigog7470

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Altrincham
A Grand Day Out
« on: October 13, 2014, 11:15:42 am »
Mid week last week I noted the weather was meant to be a belter for Sunday so a gentle tap up to the mrs and it was all a go & the destination? Aberystwyth.

Sunday arrived and at 07:15 we were up only to be greeted by Fog, but hey, onwards and upwards and all that. 8am and we were on our way from Altrincham, 1st to fuel up then it was along the A556 to the A49 to our 1st stop of the day The Raven Cafe on the A49 near Witchurch for breakfast. I went for the healthy option of Bacon and Sausage on toast whilst the wife in her infinate wisdom wanted to eat healthily and so had beans on toast, eachto their own, hell, she married me so!!!

From the Raven it was down the A49 to Wem. The fog was being a bit of a pain so no ringing its neck. From Wem it was down what i didnt want, goat tracks (Reminder to ones stupid self CHECK THE FRIGGIN ROUTE NEXT TIME  :192:) but managed to get to Welshpool where again the satnav took us on some diversionary route and again needless to say the air was blue. We managed to get back on track and in no time we were on the A44.

Not sure who has or hasnt traversed this road but if you havent then make time to do so. Its a belter. Nice gentle bends hardly any traffic (Possibly because we were on it early) and the views. WOW, and especially in this weather and time of year when everything is golden. This part of the route was the best Ive ridden in a long time.

We made our way to our destination at Aberystwyth by midday and off for a nose bag. Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the place but if i did i would forwarn DO NOT GO HERE. We opted for the fish and chips, jeez it was minging although the brew was good. After this we had a meander round the old castle ruins and an Ice Cream and then it was off at 2pm for our final destination, Bala Lake.

My route was up A487 to A470 then onto the A494. Again nice road but with Sunday drivers who were at an age where they believed 40mph is fast enough even though we were in a 60mph zone and braking wherethere was no need to made some parts of this leg bloody annoying but thanksfully being on a bike these were short lived experiances and were at Bala Lake in just over an hour. Our stop was at Loch Cafe Llyn Tegid. Another brew with cake (I dont get this handsome without being a lardy ya know) and a chat with another biker who was on a Honda 900 Hornet which was loaded to the 9's. Apparently he had been camping and fishing for the weekend and was amazed at how he got it all on his bike  :020:

Our final leg home was up the A494 to the A5 towards Wrexham then onward to a local petrol station to fill up. We completed 276 miles on one tank (Still showed I had about 10 miles left in) which worked out to just short of 51mpg and needless to say I was very happy with that.

So there you have it, That was our "Grand Day Out" Cant wait for our Grand Week Away in 2 weeks when we hit the Emerald Isle.

Thanks for reading

Oggy
Yamaha DT250 (Many moons ago), Honda CBF125, Honda CBF600, Honda CBF1000, Triumph Tiger 1050, Triumph Explorer, Triumph Trophy SE

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: A Grand Day Out
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 11:58:19 pm »
Sounds like a nice ride.  I do like Wales.  But I have to say I kept coming back to your second line.  Incredible....you were able to get your wife up and about and ready and on the bike in 45 minutes?    :008:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline bigog7470

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 09:28:27 am »
Hahahaha  :745: :745: :745:

Yeah but you should have seen the state of her, twas like she was dragged through a hedge backwards (Ahhhh the joys of slating the wife when she doesnt have access to this site  :745:  :164:) Mind ya, I expect silence off everyone on here and will have to utilise the DPA here if silence is broken :001:

Anyway, "You Like Wales" I take it youve been over these neck of the woods then?

Cheers

Oggy
Yamaha DT250 (Many moons ago), Honda CBF125, Honda CBF600, Honda CBF1000, Triumph Tiger 1050, Triumph Explorer, Triumph Trophy SE

Online GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 10:02:20 am »
Nice report Oggy, thanks for sharing.

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 03:33:18 am »
*Originally Posted by bigog7470 [+]

Anyway, "You Like Wales" I take it youve been over these neck of the woods then?

Cheers

Oggy
I lived in France for several years and part of my remit was to spend one week a month in Bristol.  So lots and lots of time in the UK.  I think I've about covered every inch of Wales, the West Country, the Midlands and the Lakes District
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 01:49:40 pm »
Great write up and yes there are some very good roads lovely sweeping bends with lots of visibility.  I remember a rally (in a car) where we went down a road like a rollercoaster it was amazing but cannot remember exactly where it was.  45 mins must be a sort of record (unless it is off to the sales for shoes or somehting else quite useless.  Now motorbike gear >>>>).

Offline bigog7470

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 10:12:30 pm »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
I lived in France for several years and part of my remit was to spend one week a month in Bristol.  So lots and lots of time in the UK.  I think I've about covered every inch of Wales, the West Country, the Midlands and the Lakes District

Awesome. Would love a job like that but will stick to the one I have now. Don't get out and about like you did but best job I've ever had with some top people & my top boss is a biker. Happy days

Oggy

Offline bigog7470

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 10:15:04 pm »
*Originally Posted by john348 [+]
Great write up and yes there are some very good roads lovely sweeping bends with lots of visibility.  I remember a rally (in a car) where we went down a road like a rollercoaster it was amazing but cannot remember exactly where it was.  45 mins must be a sort of record (unless it is off to the sales for shoes or somehting else quite useless.  Now motorbike gear >>>>).

Cheers John but if I came home with more motorbike gear then I would become a female......things would be removed without consent

Oggy

tweedy-bunch