Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Speedo Accuracy  (Read 26094 times)

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
Speedo Accuracy
« on: October 13, 2014, 02:16:17 pm »
Has anyone checked their speedometer against a GPS or another bike? I noticed on my last trip that when going 75mph on my GPS, that the speedo is showing 81mph. Tried checking against my brothers' Goldwing and it shows about the same thing. I have had bikes that have been a little off but not quite this much. Does anyone know if the dealer can fix this? Or can I just buy a Speed Healer and make it read right? Kind of picky on this kind of thing just in case I have to argue a state trooper about my speeding!  :008:
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
Re: Speedo Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 02:23:35 pm »
My speedometer reads between 3 and 4 mph high as calibrated against my GPS. The odometer appears to be correct however. My last bike, BMW R1200RT, was dead nuts on.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:38:03 pm by azgman »
Serial BMW rider

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 TTSE
  • City / Town: SWFL
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 02:29:57 pm »
Mine shows 4 mph positive (fast) 74mph is actually 70.

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 03:00:09 pm »
According to my GPS the speedometer reads faster than actual.

"...BMW R1200RT, was dead nuts on."

I've been told that Garmin uses a BMW to calibrate their GPS. (I'm only kind of kidding)

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 06:03:19 pm »
Mine reads 6% too fast, but the odometer is dead accurate.  Speeding is not really an issue if it reads too fast than actual.  I use the GPS to work out what indicated speed for the cruise control needs to be to keep to the right actual speed (all legal limits of course...) A good feature the digital readout for the cruise setting.

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 06:19:56 pm »
It's funny how they can get the odometer to read right, but miss on the speedo. I wonder is it off by that much in relation to the kilometers/hour versus the miles/hour? :187:
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline PaulG

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 10:58:29 pm »
My TTSE reads about 6% high.  TT indicates 106 kph when the Garmin reads 100kph.  All Triumphs do it as far as I know (at least in Australia)  There is a design rule that says a speedo can read a bit higher but not lower.  On my previous 1050 Tiger, I could adjust the speedo accuracy by changing a setting in the ECU using the Tuneboy software.  After I did that the speedo was dead accurate according to the GPS.  The odometer didn't change.  It was always accurate.

Paul

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 11:53:16 pm »
Mine reads 74 for an actual gps speed of 70 mph, but it is still off by the same 4mph at 80 (actually 76).  One of these days I'm going to check it at an indicated 120 or 130 to see what the gps shows at that level.  It would be nice if it's off by the same amount no matter the speed, but I bet not.  Anyone checked it at a higher speed?  Hmm??
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies