Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Preventative Maintenance  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Robmcg

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Preventative Maintenance
« on: March 29, 2013, 08:23:32 AM »
Hi All
Picked up the Trophy yesterday  -  Love it.
Spent til now detailing it  - Waxed , Mr Sheened and all parts checked. Great way to find faults and blemishes.
Found
4 loose hex head bolts on the fairing and covers. By loose I mean 4 to 5 turns, which means they could have unwound over time.
The Audio Switch housing was wobbly as the screws were loose - enough for a 3mm gap at the joint. This would have surely let in moisture.

Apart from the above, the finish is very good. I didn't expect Honda standards, but it is very good. Time will tell.
All the extras were fitted and worked. Waiting for the blue topbox lid cover. (2 weeks)
The paint seems soft but is now waxed and protected.
I have covered the frame, next to the footpegs, with a clear plastic protection, to prevent damage to the paint, as, the demo I rode, was badly scratched right through the paint to the base metal.
The electric connections have been sprayed with RP7 and Mr Sheen.

Peter Stevens Adelaide were excellent in their preparation and delivery of the bike. I had a check sheet for everything needed and appropriate, and it was all fulfilled. It is the best that I have been treated, in the purchase of over 20 vehicles (Cars & Bikes). The battery was fully charged.

There was no Audio manual but Colin, the salesman, gave me the one out of the demo bike, Still wrapped in the plastic and unused.

Tomorrow a decent ride.
I have not experienced any problems yet and am wary of what I have read here, but it all works well.   :046:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:25:12 AM by Robmcg »

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: Preventative Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 09:05:08 AM »
Excellent news Rob. Now just ride and enjoy it! I have found that some of the alloy parts are prone to reacting to road salt and don't know what I can do to mitigate this. Also my discs are rusting (they are being replaced under warranty). I guess this is due to the commuting mileage and given the UK weather at the moment there isn't a lot I can do about that.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »
Nice one Rob
I agree with Robin, ride the arse off it and just enjoy doing it. :047:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Robmcg

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 07:42:32 AM »
I intend to ride it, but it's bloody raining here and I'm waiting for a spot of sunshine.
I read the items on the rear huggers and appreciate that the rear suspension might be protected from the rear wheel spray. Because the suspension links are so low, I think that there will be just as much crud thrown up by the front wheel.
I sprayed the crap out of all the suspension with Mr Sheen. It's a Wax & Silicon preservative, so I hope that will do something to protect the aluminium links and shock.
Robin  - You could  oil your discs.  :187:  That would stop the rust. Not sure about the stopping power though.   :005:
From memory, I used to use Goddards Glow on rusty discs. It has a mild abrasive quality and didn't effect braking. It won't have any effect on the sweep area, as it will be rubbed off, Doh!, but might help keep the rest of the disc cleaner. Try a little on it and see how it goes.

Ndo

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 03:15:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Robmcg [+]
Hi All
Picked up the Trophy yesterday  -  Love it.
Spent til now detailing it  - Waxed , Mr Sheened and all parts checked. Great way to find faults and blemishes.
Found
4 loose hex head bolts on the fairing and covers. By loose I mean 4 to 5 turns, which means they could have unwound over time.
The Audio Switch housing was wobbly as the screws were loose - enough for a 3mm gap at the joint. This would have surely let in moisture.

Apart from the above, the finish is very good. I didn't expect Honda standards, but it is very good. Time will tell.
All the extras were fitted and worked. Waiting for the blue topbox lid cover. (2 weeks)
The paint seems soft but is now waxed and protected.
I have covered the frame, next to the footpegs, with a clear plastic protection, to prevent damage to the paint, as, the demo I rode, was badly scratched right through the paint to the base metal.
The electric connections have been sprayed with RP7 and Mr Sheen.

Peter Stevens Adelaide were excellent in their preparation and delivery of the bike. I had a check sheet for everything needed and appropriate, and it was all fulfilled. It is the best that I have been treated, in the purchase of over 20 vehicles (Cars & Bikes). The battery was fully charged.

There was no Audio manual but Colin, the salesman, gave me the one out of the demo bike, Still wrapped in the plastic and unused.

Tomorrow a decent ride.
I have not experienced any problems yet and am wary of what I have read here, but it all works well.   :046:

Rob,
Could you post some pics on the spots where you found lose bolts of the fairing and the radio?

Offline Robmcg

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 07:26:49 AM »
Hi NDO
The bolts were allen head screws that secure the fairing panels
The audio switch consul was quite loose, with about a 3mm gap at the joint.
Not a big deal, but yours certainly is. I'm going to check all the bolts and nuts that I can get to, without dismantling.
Cheers Rob
PS like your suggestion re the centrestand, as it is more awkward to use than the ST. I have little feeling in my left foot, so that should help me.
Ta.

Offline Simons Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 12:54:57 PM »
Good on you Rob  :046:
Simon

tweedy-bunch