Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Gravity is in fine working order  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
Gravity is in fine working order
« on: October 14, 2014, 10:38:07 pm »
I was almost home on my way back from Pennsylvania. I missed the turn from Maine route 219 to Maine route 133. So I slowed down and attempted to turn into the parking area for a business on that corner. I noticed the turn off was a bit sandy, but I didn't worry about it. As it turns out, the sand was about 8 inches deep. My tires dug in slowing the bike and as I was leaned ever so slightly gravity did it's job.

I was pinned under the bike until my riding partner could get over to help me. Dang the Trophy is heavy. The good news is that I was in 8 inches of sand so I came away relatively unscathed, with the exception of a bit of a sore ankle and knee. The right pannier lid and front fairing have a few minor scratches. Serious damage was inflicted upon my pride. I suppose I'll get over it.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline Ray_B

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 SE (ex '13 SE)
  • City / Town: Central New Jersey
Re: Gravity is in fine working order
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 11:03:28 pm »
Glad you're ok. Do you have the R&G bars?

BTW, if you think you were embarrassed, here's what happens when you rely on GPS mapping.
Gravity? We don't need no stinking gravity!
Ray

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 11:13:52 pm »
Thank you Ray_B!

I feel much better already!!!!   

No R&G bars and it wouldn't have made much difference, the sand was so deep!
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 11:30:04 pm »
I had a similar experience pulling off the road in Utah close to the Arizona border. 
I could see tire tracks where cars had pulled over.  It looked like dirt and had a slight downhill away from the road crown.  As I was coming to a stop and realized I was on sand, the front wheel tucked under and I found myself trying to hold the bike up.  Gravity won.   The tip over switch did not work, I had to use the red switch on the right handle bar to turn the motor off.   The bike was fully loaded and it took three of us to get it back up since the side of the road was slanted.   Just some scratches on the front panel and deeper scratches on the pannier.   No R&G bars. The bike had about 900 miles on it.  Oh well.  Nobody hurt.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 11:51:47 pm »
Bludyl

Sorry to hear of your little incident. It is a heavy machine and it will win every time once it goes past that limit. Better to get scratched paint than a slipped disc.

Sea dog
seadog

Offline Ray_B

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 SE (ex '13 SE)
  • City / Town: Central New Jersey
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 12:03:40 am »
 :0461:
Ray

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 12:43:17 am »
Glad you're ok and the bikes not to badly damaged.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 02:18:29 am »
More than one person at my dealer has espoused the fact that there are only our two types of motorcycles in the world, those that have been on their sides and those that will be.  Sorry to hear about your mishap, and I bet you were a little sick at your stomach when it happened.  I know that feeling well!  Glad to hear the personal injury was minor.  File it in that little black box in the back that has a habit of opening up on occasion with what we think is an odd thought and we all too often fail to pay attention to.
Ride safe.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies