Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Bluetooth, iPhone, Scala Rider, Sirius Satellite Radio  (Read 4338 times)

Offline Padman63

• Trophy Member
  • Get er Done, Make er smoke
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Diego Way, CA
Bluetooth, iPhone, Scala Rider, Sirius Satellite Radio
« on: October 16, 2014, 01:19:50 pm »
So much technology to combine together! My question is.......in order to answer my phone on my scala rider G9, and in order to listen to Sirius on my G9 do i connect via BT my phone to the scala rider? Or the scala rider to the trophy, or both? Its all a bit confusing, it seems to me I can't connect three devices, the bike, the phone and the scala rider together.......maybe I am wrong, please help I am about to go do a 1500 mile ride in 6 hours!  :046:
2013 Triumph Trophy
2007 Honda Goldwing
2006 BMW R1200RT
2006 Harley Davidson Streetglide
2002 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Bluetooth, iPhone, Scala Rider, Sirius Satellite Radio
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 03:00:03 pm »
I don't know much about Scala or Sirius, but I would expect it will work like most other setups :

Pair your Scala headset to the Trophy as "HEADSET 1"

Pair your Phone to the Trophy as "DEVICE 2"

( Note that there is no "HEADSET 2", or "DEVICE 1" - the numbers represent the 2 channels,
where Channel 1 is for Headsets only, and Channel 2 is for Headsets and other Bluetooth devices. )

When you select the Sirius Radio, or any other audio source
( such as an iPod attached to the USB port in the Glove box ),
and with the Trophy audio system set to output the audio to "HEADSET", ( not the Loudspeakers ),
you should hear that audio on your Scala, then - when there is an incoming Phone call,
this will be displayed on the Instrument Panel screen and can be answered with the handlebar buttons,
which will then mute the Sirius radio, and connect the Phone call to your Scala.
You cannot make calls with this configuration - which is probably a good idea to save being distracted !

If you also have a SAT NAV device such as the Garmin 660,
then the audio output of this should be connected to the dedicated "NAV" Audio socket
which is buried away under the Fairing.
( Check the "HOW TO" Section of the Forum for more information on this and installing the mounting bracket )

You would then be able to choose between Pairing your Phone to the Trophy, or to the Garmin.
In either case you will be able to hear the Phone calls and speak via the Scala BT connection,
the difference being that when the Phone is paired to the Garmin,
calls are answered via the Garmin touch screen, not the handlebar buttons,
but you can ( should be able to ? ) make calls via the Garmin touch screen.

It does all seem a bit compliacted at first - a few re-reads of the Audio handbook are recommended,
then come back and ask away if there any more sepcific questions !  :028:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:01:39 pm by Coconut »

Offline Padman63

• Trophy Member
  • Get er Done, Make er smoke
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Diego Way, CA
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 04:28:43 pm »
Thank you Coconut, I appreciate your reply, I will try to connect to my sumo 550
2013 Triumph Trophy
2007 Honda Goldwing
2006 BMW R1200RT
2006 Harley Davidson Streetglide
2002 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic

Offline Harlock

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Torino
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 04:03:50 pm »
Sorry Coconut, can you please clarify me one think about NAV + phone. Now I have a Zumo 590 hard wired in the standard socket and an iPhone 6, but I had the same problem with Zumo 660 + iPhone 5. If I just connect the iPhone to the Zumo, I can hear the other person at the phone, but he/she cannot hear me. The only way to have a two way call is pairing iphone both with the Zumo and TT (like device 2), pairing headset of my helmet (Nolan N-com B1) with TT (like headset 1) but NOT with the Zumo. Then, in order not to have problem with incoming calls, I've to remember to switch on bluetooth on Zumo just AFTER helmet headset connects to TT audio System. If I forget to do this, incoming calls generate some problems sometime: I can hear the caller after 40 sec while the systems diverts the call into the right channals because priorities are not correctly definited. In this case, if the caller does not know that I've this problem, obviously hangs off! Outcoming calls allways work perfectly regarderless I remember or not to wait before switching on Zumo's bluetooth...

How did you manage to avoid to connect the phone to the Zumo AND to the bike "device 2" too?! :435: It could be very useful for me!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:06:28 pm by Harlock »

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 05:04:25 pm »
Hi Harlock,

I can only really describe what worked for me, as I have no personal experience of the Zumo 590, however :

If you ....

Pair your N-COM Headset to the Trophy ( using Bluetooth ) as "HEADSET 1",
and pair your iPhone ( using Bluetooth ) to the Trophy as "DEVICE 1",
then you should be able to receive phone calls, which appear in the Instrument Panel display like this :

You can then Ignore the call, or change "IGNORE" to "ANSWER" with the handlebar scroll button,
then press the SELECT ( "i" ) button to execute the IGNORE or ANSWER command.

You cannot however MAKE calls using this setup, you can only answer ( or Ignore ) Incoming calls.

If the person on the other end of the phone cannot hear you with this setup,
then you would need to check the microphone settings / mute on your N-COM system.

Also, make sure that "HEADSET" is selected as the audio output from the Settings menu,
and turn NAV AUDIO "on" in the "ALT SOURCE" menu.

The alternative method of connecting your iPhone would still be to pair your N-COM as HEADSET 1,
but then pair the Garmin Zumo to the Trophy as DEVICE 1.

You explain that the Garmin is hard wired to the Trophy, using the dedicated Audio Plug
underneath the left mirror pod, and under the fairing.

The way that works is that you can choose "NAV" as the Audio Source on the Trophy system,
and will hear any voice instructions relayed via the Trophy Bluetooth system to your N-COM.

If you have something else selected as the Audio Source, such as "FM RADIO",
when a SAT NAV instruction is emitted from the Garmin, this will MUTE the FM Radio,
and the voice instruction will be played via the Trophy Bluetooth system to your N-COM.
Once the instruction has ended, the FM RADIO playback will resume.

Now, If you pair your iPhone to the Garmin ( using its second Bluetooth channel ),
you should be able to use the controls on the Garmin screen to make, or answer any Phone calls.
Those calls won't appear in the Instrument Panel display, and the handlebar buttons aren't used to answer or ignore calls.

I have never tried that type of setup, but I do remember someone else having a similar problem,
where the other phone party could not hear the rider speaking, although the rider could hear them,
as though the Headset microphone wasn't connecting through to the Garmin device,
and it was using it's own built in microphone - this may be the problem you are experiencing,
and if so I can't help further other than to say, when the question was asked of Garmin,
their response was , " It should work" !
I haven't tested it, but I think the microphone connection doesn't work if the Garmin is Hardwired
to the Trophy audio AND connected to the Trophy Bluetooth at the same time !

In any event, I would recommend the first option, for reasons of SAFETY -
If you really do need to MAKE a phone call, stop riding, get your helmet off,
and make the call from the roadside  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Offline Harlock

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 10:46:17 pm »
Thanks! I think you're right: if Zumo is hardwired, microphone does not work. Connecting the iphone to Zumo and TT I bypass the problem. God only knows why incoming calls works correctly from the first second just if I remember to connect the Zumo after N-Com connects to TT audio System, but... That's it.

About safety... If I have to call, I stop riding parking in a safe place, and I make the call... Without removing gloves, helmets etc... I do not use the car and especially in winter time... It is very comfortable, because I cannot help to excange fast comunications with collegues or family. Furthermore, I feel better knowing that, in case of emergencies, I could call for help even if I were not able to dismount from the motorbike...

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 01:20:49 am »
You know ever since my ECU upgrade my iphone doesn't work correctly with the bike anymore.  I can still make a call but the answering party can't hear me.  And the radio/music keeps right on playing. I receive a call but I can't answer it.  The scroll button doesn't work, it stays locked on ignore.  The iphone just plain won't work while paired with the Trophy.  HOWEVER I have found the solution.  I pair my Scala headset with the bike.  I pair the phone with the headset.  I do not pair the phone with the bike.  I can still play the Trophy radio through the headset.  I can still play the iphone tunes through the headset.  I still have complete use of the phone both making and receiving calls.  It's stupid but for all the Trophy's audio sophistication it seems the best solution is to not use it.   :110:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Harlock

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 05:41:19 am »
 Hmmm... Did you check if you have the last version of TT audio software? Somewhere in this forum it is explained how to check and - if needed - upgrade it. The audio SW upgrade may be independent to the ECU upgrade, but maybe after the upgrade the old version of the software may be bad recognized. Furthermore: which iPhone model do you have? Which iOS version? If you have iOS 8.00 or 8.02, consider that this versions had a bug related to bluetooth that gave this problem with allmost all car Bluetooth  system. If still you cannot find a solution, ask for a warrenty sostitution: audio system if afterall a bike component like the other and you have the right to ask...

tweedy-bunch