Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TES Warning Check Manual  (Read 9772 times)

Offline Padman63

• Trophy Member
  • Get er Done, Make er smoke
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Diego Way, CA
TES Warning Check Manual
« on: October 16, 2014, 06:00:13 pm »
That is what it says at the bottom of my screen when I tried to start my bike this morning and all I could get was a "click" when I hit the start button. Does anyone possibly know a quick fix for me or must i just get towed to the dealer. I was supposed to leave for a 3 day ride today. If that doesn't happen I guess saving grace that this dumb issue occurred while still in my own garage........if anyone can assist I would greatly appreciate it, thank you
2013 Triumph Trophy
2007 Honda Goldwing
2006 BMW R1200RT
2006 Harley Davidson Streetglide
2002 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: TES Warning Check Manual
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 06:30:52 pm »
PM sent !   :028:

However, for the benefit of anyone reading this because they have the same problem :

It's always difficult to diagnose things remotely, but it sounds like your battery voltage is low.

If you have a voltmeter and can test it, then it should be reading at least 12 volts, preferably a bit more.

There have been several reports of either faulty batteries,
or a faulty Audio Module that can cause batteries to drain after the Ignition has been switched off.

Then there's always the possibilty of having turned the key too far last time you parked,
and inadvertently put the Parking Lights on without noticing,
and if left for too long this will also flatten the battery.
( Or even just leaving the Ignition on without the engine running for too long ).

I would suspect that the TES Warning is due to the Calibration process being interruputed
due to the Low Battery too, and it "may" clear once the battery voltage is restored and the engine started.
( If it doesn't it may need to be checked and cleared by a Dealer ).

If you do get it started, and the TES starts Calibrating - leave the bike as it is until the Calibration is finished -
See this post under "TES ( TRIUMPH ELECTRONIC SUSPENSION ) - CALIBRATION & ADJUSTMENT"
for an explanation of what is happening !

Things to check after the battery voltage reading, are that the battery terminals are clean and tight
AND - Just in front of the battery casing is the Starter Solenoid - it's not easy to get at,
but you should be able to see 2 small wires that have spade terminals on the end attached to the Solenoid -
one is Black and the other is Red & White.
These can get knocked loose or even completely off, and can cause that "Click" then nothing scenario !

Have a look at this post : Failure to start !

There's also a useful guide on checking ALL of the most comon faults and issues
in the "HOW TO's & Technical Guides" section of the forum.

On Page 2 there are some more things to check for "ENGINE - WON'T START"

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 09:23:18 pm by Coconut »

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 09:40:50 pm »
Padman, is it COLD where you are, 50 degrees F or less??   

My TTSE almost always throws a low battery-Radio Off message when started cold, but the battery and all tests ok.   I personally feel the TTSE's computer is too sensitive to voltage drop.

I also get the TES See Manual error, but only when the temp is 50F or below.  But I've not gotten it upon start and the bike has never failed to start.   I get it when I attempt to adjust TES LOADING, adjustment light blinks until the error appears.   So far I've been able to clear it after riding 10+ miles and restarting the engine.    Dealer cannot diagnose as no codes are stored for this and I cannot replicate it for them other than showing them pictures of the display...

First thing I'd do.... Check battery terminals for tightness....   
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 11:40:34 pm »
Has anyone had this issue with an upgraded battery? By upgraded, I mean going to an AGM type battery with a higher CCA rating.
Serial BMW rider

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 01:27:34 am »
Hi,

From experience during the recent winter some of the systems do have quirky issues. Specifically, TPMS low battery, screen not adjusting up and down until underway. Thankfully, I haven't experienced the dreaded 'CLICK' when pressing the starter button.

A couple weeks ago I did however experience the dreaded CLICK and no power after a morning tea break after a couple of hours on the road at 30C. The cause was a loose earth terminal on the battery (after travelling over rough roads). Easy fix and off again.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 02:24:19 pm »
No update fropm Padman63 yet - hopefully this means he got it sorted,
and is now enjoying the 3 day ride that he mentioned  :169:

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 09:22:51 pm by Coconut »

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 04:58:07 pm »
*Originally Posted by azgman [+]
Has anyone had this issue with an upgraded battery? By upgraded, I mean going to an AGM type battery with a higher CCA rating.

I think I will replace my stock battery with an Oddessy if they make one that will fit.    I had great luck with those in the past.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline Padman63

• Trophy Member
  • Get er Done, Make er smoke
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Diego Way, CA
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 03:17:23 am »
Hey thanks for all the comments on my issue. It definitely WAS the battery. And since I was about to leave on a three day trip I did not have the time to try charging my battery, so I bought a new one.  :003: Did 1250 miles in Arizona and New Mexico without issue, EXCEPT the same old intermittent windscreen not raising. Once actually it would not operate at all. But after stopping and restarting the engine it started working again. A few times too the NO AUDIO FOUND message raised its ugly head again, forcing me to pull the fuse to reset. I am fed up  :233: now and tired of living with all of these ridiculous faults so I plan on taking it back to the dealer and having whatever is wrong fixed once and for all. Again, thanks all for your help. A special thanks to Coconut!!!
2013 Triumph Trophy
2007 Honda Goldwing
2006 BMW R1200RT
2006 Harley Davidson Streetglide
2002 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic