Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Buying a new Trophy SE - Any inherent issues or problems with the Trophy?  (Read 30611 times)

Offline CaptDenny

• Trophy Member
  • The Blue Beast
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Fort Collins CO
So far, I've owned a Rocket III, a Speedmaster and a Sprint 1050.  Time for a new sport-tourer.  So far I've very impressed with the Trophy SE.  I'm coming off of a BMW RT so I'm curious about the Trophy's history.  Does the Trophy have any inherent problems or issues?  Any problems with rear engine seals, clutch, slave cylinder or final drive failures?  Other electrical or mechanical problems to watch out for?

Thanks
CaptDenny
2004 Sprint 1050
2007 Rocket III
2008 Speedmaster
Next - New 2015 Trophy SE

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Hi CaptDenny,

Have a look at this posting, which is right at the top of the "New Members" section :

TOP TIPS for New Forum Members

In there you will find links to LOTS of information including :
a "New Owner Checklist",
a list of "Common Faults & Issues",
and lots more .....

PLEASE don't be put off by what seems to be a long list of Faults and Issues,
as most of them are either relatively minor, or have already been fixed / addressed by Triumph.

The "SEARCH" button is very useful and recommended for any specific information you might need,
but if you can't find something, then just post a question in an appropriate Section,
and you will usually get an answer very quickly  :169:

Cheers, and good luck with the research  :821:

...... or you could just ignore all of the above, arrange a Test Ride,
and afterwards you WILL want to buy the bike you just rode !

Offline CaptDenny

• Trophy Member
  • The Blue Beast
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Fort Collins CO
Thanks Coconut!!  Great info!  Sorry I missed that link on the New Members page.  Since the known issues are based on a 2012 year TT, is it assumed that most if not all of these issues have been resolved on the '13-'15 model years?  Specifically looking for known issues that have or are affecting the newer model year bikes.  Most likely will buy a 2015 model, but only if Triumph has worked out the bugs and supplier issues from previous years.

Thanks
CaptDenny
2004 Sprint 1050
2007 Rocket III
2008 Speedmaster
Next - New 2015 Trophy SE

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Chula Vista
    I see you are in the US so my input may have some value.

I am a long distance rider (IBA) and have a '13 SE with just over 40,000 miles on it. Reliability is paramount in my sport and the TT has me concerned. Based on a survey I have started in the General Discussion area I'm thinking that there may only be 2 TTSE's in the world with mileage over 40,000. I realize there are lots of good reports on the bike but I'm wondering if the minor items Coconut mentions are only because of low mileage. Granted that Triumph, in offering a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, probably didn't expect to have folks like me burning up the miles.

I was hesitant to purchase the first year model but since the drive train is the same as the Explorer, which is a year older, I had hoped the bugs had been worked out. Not so lucky.

First off, I love the bike. It has all the features I wanted for my long distance sport. Couple that with it's impressive acceleration, nimbleness in the curves, and comfort during long distance hauls and you have a virtually perfect long distance platform.

So I've had some issues. I'm trying to be kind and not blame the TTSE as a bad bike. I will assume that most of the issues are infant (now we're into toddler) mortality. I'm not particularly overwrought about the recalls and failures I've had to deal with which are: Gas Tank Recall, ECU recall, TPS recall, center stand recall, 2 final drive failures, and just this week what appears to have been a catastrophic failure of the valve train. Interestingly, just prior to the engine failure I was thinking how much much fun I was having with this bike.

What I do have concerns about are the following which I can only assume may not be an issue in the UK:
    • convoluted warranty process
    • US parts availability
    • US service availability

Where my frustration has come from are the little things like taking my bike in for a major service and having to wait 3 weeks for an air filter! And the fact that with my engine failure I was told the best case turnaround was 2 weeks, which is not unreasonable. BUT, I'm not holding my breath. Frankly, I'll be happy if it's less than 8 weeks, which is what I expect based on past experience. Naturally, failures of this nature are expensive. Between towing and travel I'll have over $500 in out of pocket expenses.

This goes to service availability. I think I was extremely lucky that the nearest dealer was only 100 miles. A day before and I would have been looking at much higher tow charges.

A dealer associate of mine said; "The 2015 Trophy will be unchanged from the current platform. Look for design changes for the 2016 model year."

The only reason I bought the TTSE was because it was so much less than an R1200RT. If I was in your shoes I'd wait for '16.

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 TTSE
  • City / Town: SWFL
Re: Buying a new Trophy SE - Any inherent issues or problems with the
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 11:23:44 pm »
I am happy with the TTSE so far (10 grand) no issues.   I will not put up with severe engine problems, I came from BMW and if I have your kind of problems at 40000 I'll be back at BMW before you can say, Ich werde eine Wurst, ein Bier und eine neue R1200RT haben

Offline Northkaibab

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Akron, OH
*Originally Posted by nervouswreck [+]
I came from BMW and if I have your kind of problems at 40000 I'll be back at BMW before you can say, Ich werde eine Wurst, ein Bier und eine neue R1200RT haben

Hey Mike...what was your reliability experience with the Bimmers? I avoided them for the obvious reason...price. But they don't exactly have the best reliability reputation, either. Or am I over-stating that?

Don't know if you follow the Ride Apart motorcycle web site, but one of their writers reported a catastrophic engine failure on a Tiger Explorer about a month ago. Same drive train as the TTSE, of course. As I recall, he was at about 10-12k miles. He gave Triumph USA high marks for working with him on warranty, etc., but lost faith in the brand and moved to a Yamaha Super Tenere.

I traded a 2012 Super Tenere in for my TTSE. But just to show that no brand is immune, the Super Tenere I traded had a catastrophic engine failure about 6 months later. That bike was at about 14k miles when the engine went.

Offline william

• Trophy Pro
  • its not your beliefs that make you a better person
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Henderson, KY
22,000 miles 14 months, nothing to speak of. did have a bad key switch that took alittle while for shop to figure out. I am very very happy with bike.

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Chula Vista
*Originally Posted by Northkaibab [+]
Hey Mike...what was your reliability experience with the Bimmers?

I had a 2000 K1200LT from 2000 to 2013 when I purchased the TTSE.
I put 165,000 miles on it with no engine problems at all. Naturally, I had the final drive failures, one at 70K miles and another at 130K miles. The first left me stranded with high dollar travel expenses but the second one I caught in town since I knew the symptoms. I had one clutch replacement.

So my experience with the Bimmer was almost as bad as it has been with the TT. But with the TT we're looking at 1/4 the miles and 1/10 the time.   :155: