Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Cylinder head replacement under warranty  (Read 10412 times)

Offline The Colonel

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Cylinder head replacement under warranty
« on: October 23, 2014, 12:41:49 am »
Hello All, It's The Colonel here.
Can anyone please explain to me what fault is it with the old cylinder head that are causing the tappet noise ultimately resulting in Triumph changing out the cylinder head under warranty.
I have heard valve guide issues as well valve seat issues as well as timing chain tensioner.
Please accept my apologies if this has already been covered.
Thanks in advance.

I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass !

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Sale
Re: Cylinder head replacement under warranty
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 02:30:00 am »
G'day Colonel,

There are threads in the Forum that discussed this in detail however in summary it involved early released TTSE circa 2012/13 within specific VIN series. Triumph issued the 'upgrade' as a precaution that started in England then expanded globally. From the thread responses I'm not too sure if many Aussie owners were involved. My TTSE is an original 2012 version that doesn't present with excessive engine noise (as yet), has been checked by Triumph service as it is in the VIN series, and still goes like the proverbial cut snake with bags.

If your TTSE is producing excessive top end/valve train noise I suggest you have your Orderly return it to your local Triumph dealer. If not continue enjoying the ride.

Carry-on....
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline The Colonel

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:16:00 am »
Thankyou Sir for your information I did guess that this would have been well and truly covered.
Unfortunately for me the old girl has started to make a bit a rattling noise from the tappets so I took it into the local Triumph dealer who listened to it for ten seconds and said "Dear Sir she will have to have the head replaced under warranty".
So the British Beauty is currently confined to the barrack's until the spares arrive.

Regds The Colonel

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:35:00 am »
Good Day Sir,

This has indeed been covered at length in a different post,
( which you have already seen ), currently running to 74 pages !
"Engine upgrade email from Triumph"

Triumph called this an "upgrade" rather than a Recall,
and it only affected engines within a certain range.

Technical Service Bulletin 154 ( for Countries other than the UK ),
specifies the affected Motorcycles as being up to VIN 602960.

anyone with a VIN lower than this "may" have had the "upgrade", but as this was not a "recall" wth no requirement
for the work to be done, it may not have been upgraded if the owner had not reprorted any excessive / unusual noise !

Offline The Colonel

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 05:21:07 am »
Thank you Gents for your information. As my parts wont be in Australia until December I asked the Triumph Chap if there was any problem in riding the British Beauty in it's current state , he said no but I am not so sure about this , thus the reason why she is confined to Barracks under close guard.
I don't want to add any further issues to the engine if I can help it.
This website is a wealth of information as I am finding out every time I log on thankyou to all that contribute.
Cheers for now
The Colonel.

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 02:43:38 pm »
*Originally Posted by The Colonel [+]
Thank you Gents for your information. As my parts wont be in Australia until December I asked the Triumph Chap if there was any problem in riding the British Beauty in it's current state , he said no but I am not so sure about this , thus the reason why she is confined to Barracks under close guard.
I don't want to add any further issues to the engine if I can help it.
This website is a wealth of information as I am finding out every time I log on thankyou to all that contribute.
Cheers for now
The Colonel.

Colonel,

Triumph swears up and down that the noise  is just that,  a noise and that no engine damage will occur.   This is why the head replacement is an upgrade,  not  a recall.   I'm not sure I totally buy that,  but I wouldn't hesitate to get your trusty steed out of the barracks in the meantime.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 03:42:29 pm »
I'm with engage there.... It is not like the RT suspension recall where BMW told their new owners to stop riding until the ESA was fixed.....

This is very much badged by Triumph as a product upgrade to prevent or remove an annoying noise but that it is NOT a recall
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 07:36:24 pm »
My view was that as they also replace anything else that needed replacing and they said ok to ride then I rode and let them sort it out if needed.

They replaced the final drive when they did the head and I am sure I was not alone.