Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Connecting Ear Plug Speakers To Bike Radio & Sat Nav  (Read 3857 times)

Offline Nudger

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2013
  • City / Town: Dartford. Kent
Connecting Ear Plug Speakers To Bike Radio & Sat Nav
« on: March 29, 2013, 08:39:13 PM »
I currently use moulded ear plugs which contain speakers.  The wire has a standard 3.5 mm headphone jack. On my previous bike I used this setup to listen to music from my iphone.  On my new Trophy SE  I've had a Triumph Sat Nav bracket fitted and intend to use a Garmin Zumo 660 Sat Nav.  I'm aware that the TT has a bluetooth facility which I my look into at a later date when funds become available.  In the meantime, does anyone know if there is a way to plug moulded ear plugs into the TT audio system?

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: New York
Re: Connecting Ear Plug Speakers To Bike Radio & Sat Nav
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 08:53:55 PM »
I wish but so far I don't think so. 

What I did was get the Sena bluetooth helmet headset.  However, what I thought was that you could have the option of either the 3.5 output or the speakers from the same helmet clamp on base unit.  In fact, you have to get one or the other.  In other words, the 3.5 output helmet clamp does not have speakers and vice a versa.  However, you can rewire the speaker headset yourself (check the Internet) with a 3.5 output if you want both options from the same helmet clamp on base unit. 
I got lazy and came up with a simpler solution.  I left my speakers wired into the helmet and bought the other clamp on base unit with the 3.5 output that I also attached to the helmet.  Now, I just move the Sena unit containing all "guts" from one base unit to the other depending on if I want to use helmet speakers or my earplugs.

As far as the bike goes I would think that someone soon will tell us where the audio wires are and how to splice in a 3.5 output jack so you can plug in your earplugs.

Offline Bubbaslye

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumphy TROPHY
  • City / Town: Charleston
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 09:58:20 PM »
To access the Bluetooth on my TROPHY, I use a little gizmo I bought at a local BestBuy;  made by Aluratek, it's called a "Bluetooth Sportclip." 

About the size of a small cigarette lighter, it resides in a shirt or jacket pocket; I simply plug in the cord from my
helmet speakers.  It enables clear reception of the radio, the iPod, and the XM satellite receiver.  Cost right at
$40.00 as I recall.

As I've only used it briefly so far, I can't really attest to how long it plays before it needs recharging -- I'll post again
once I know that.

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bradford
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 02:01:04 AM »
I have just fitted a complete audio headset and bike to bike system but I don't think there is any way to link your 3.5 mm earbuds easily into the TT audio system. I think in the long run it would be better to invest in the Sena bluetooth headsets or headset depending if you have a pillion because you would pay your money and it would just work.
 If you link your Sat Nav into the Triumph audio connector which is located behind the left indicator then the sat nav announcements will be transmitted through the TT audio system and into your headsets the Garmin 660 works perfectly, I have one fitted to mine.

I can see your frustration in having some ear buds which could be hardwired into the audio system and am sure that it is possible but would involve some bastardisation of the wiring looms and is not "by design".

By the time you have messed about trying to get it to work with various wiring loom modifications my view would be to just get the BT headsets fit them to the helmets pair them up with the TT which takes seconds and then get on the bike and spend your time riding it and not tinkering with it.

There may be a way to connect your headset by wire to a bluetooth hub which you could pair with the bike but it would probably cost more than just getting the headsets which just work.

I have done all this and know all the ins and outs, in fact one of my local dealers asked me to let them know if I got the whole communication system working which I have. Feel free to question me further I will be happy to help but cannot guarantee a solution.  :431:
Might as well as wish we had.

Offline Aharbi

• Trophy Member
  • Retired and riding
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Austin Texas
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 08:14:18 PM »
The "gizmo" is called a blue-tooth enabler. Antec also makes one (also $30).  But the Aluratek will last 12hrs. Antec only 6hrs.  They both are USB rechargable.  The Aluratek charges thru the 3.5mm earplug port with the supplied cord. 
Best regards; Art

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 07:23:38 AM »
Nudger,

I certainly sympathise with your problem. If you look at other posts regarding audio issues you will see that there are a number of hurdles to overcome in order to get what you want.

Unfortunately Triumph did not think to provide a simple "audio out" socket on the Trophy system. The only (approved) ways of getting sound out are the built-in speakers or bluetooth.

The posts above generally suggest bluetooth-equipped helmets, headsets or "dongles". The problem with the first two is that if, like me, you have custom-moulded ear plugs the sound still has to get through them from the headset speakers. This is not too much of an issue, but as your plugs have speakers in them it is defeating the point of them. Also, the in-plug speakers may cause the plugs to be pushed too hard into your ears when used with in-helmet speakers.

The problem with almost all bluetooth options is that they are battery powered and require charging. Once they go flat you get nothing at all. There are some units that will work while charging but this would generally require a clumsy 12v socket USB charger.

There is an option of "cutting in" to the speaker wiring and diverting it to a 3.5mm connector, but this has possible issues. Triumph dealers have been given strict instructions NOT to cut into ANY wiring loom on the Trophy, except at certain specific points which are generally to get a 12v power feed. Triumph are threatening not to honour the warranty of any bike that has any "modified" wiring.

I know that yours seems a simple request (I have the same one) but unfortunately due to the short-sighted decisions of the designers the solution is "non-trivial".

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline Nudger

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2013
  • City / Town: Dartford. Kent
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »
BP

I agree entirely with your comments.  Moulded ear plugs with speakers worked well for me on my previous bike (ST 1300).  Not being able to use them on the TT is frustrating, all that's needed is a 3.5mm audio socket, I'm surprised Triumph didn't make this available; either as standard, or as an optional extra.  I'm going on a short bike trip to Belgium later this week, when I get back I'm going to have a go at removing the front panels and see if there is a way to fit a 3.5 audio socket.  I note your comments on invalidating the warranty, but I still thing it's worth a try. I'II let you know how I get on.

Brian

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 12:23:03 PM »
Brian,

If you look at the other posts you will find that I and others have had fairly lengthy discussions on this topic and explored most of the options.

My previous bike (also a 1300 Pan which I still have) has a modification where the speaker wires have been diverted to a fairing switch which selects speakers or a 3.5mm stereo plug which feeds into my intercom nicely. Unfortunately I am reluctant to do this fairly simple modification to the Trophy if it will cause warranty issues.

Regards,

BP
"Let's be careful out there"