Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Help for a Harley rider  (Read 6649 times)

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
Help for a Harley rider
« on: October 26, 2014, 01:33:40 am »
I usually ride with a small group of Triumph riders. Most have Bonnevilles, but Tigers and Trophies are represented. One rider, a woman in her 50's rides a Harley Davidson cruiser. I have no idea which one it is. It's bigger than a Sportser but not their biggest bike. She's dropped it several times, because it's too big for her. Over the winter while visiting the local HD dealership she was convinced to get a second, bigger cruiser. Again I don't know which one it is but it weighs 960 pounds. She has dropped this one too but she rarely rides it. It has been recalled for numerous issues, some of them quite serious. Stuff has dropped off of it while riding. She doesn't like to ride it on unfamiliar roads because she's afraid of unknown situations. Let's face it she's afraid of the bike but "she needs a road bike".

So how do I convince her to dump the 960 pound Road Ultra King Dyna Glide and get something she would actually enjoy riding. A Street Triple, a Bonneville, whatever. Something lighter with superior handling. Something fun to ride.

I'm not sure well-considered, logical reasoning will work. Any ideas??
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline Agrsiv

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Peoria
Re: Help for a Harley rider
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 01:37:52 am »
Well I definitely wouldn't imply that she can't handle her bike. She might be trying to prove that she can ride the big bikes (either to herself,someone, or everyone) if she's a die hard Harley girl you are probably fighting a losing battle, but I applaud your intentions. Good luck

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 01:42:27 am »
Have her try the new HD 750. It's still a Harley, but one she will be able to handle.
Serial BMW rider

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 10:30:33 am »
She will admit that she's afraid of the "big Harley" but she "needs" a road bike. I suggested a wind shield, a batwing fairing and saddle bags for the "small" Harley that she manages a little better.

She was in a serious accident a few years ago, hit by a young guy in a hurry to leave a construction site and get lunch. Perhaps it is something to prove on her part.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 12:08:57 pm »
*Originally Posted by Bludy L [+]
She will admit that she's afraid of the "big Harley" but she "needs" a road bike. I suggested a wind shield, a batwing fairing and saddle bags for the "small" Harley that she manages a little better.

She was in a serious accident a few years ago, hit by a young guy in a hurry to leave a construction site and get lunch. Perhaps it is something to prove on her part.

Bonneville would be a great bike for her,  but so would a speedmaster/america

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy & Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 02:35:09 pm »
"I'm not sure well-considered, logical reasoning will work."

Isn't that the truth?!

Influencing someone else's idea of the right bike for them is never going to be easy, especially for someone riding a bike with the strongest brand loyalty in the business.

I suspect that not only does she need to work this out for herself, but she will also need to feel that she's worked it out for herself.

Not sure how it is where you are but, here is the UK, Triumph do test days where people can come along and try the range of bikes without being under the usual pressure of a formal test ride. I could imagine if she went along to something like that with your group and everyone tried a bike, she might try something nice and realise how far off the mark she's been.

Good luck.
2013 Triumph Tiger 1200 Gold/Red  - 2013 to date
2015 Triumph Trophy 1200 Ruby Red - 2020 to date

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 04:04:14 pm »
+1 on the America/Speedmaster and definitely a T100 it seems to be popular with the ladies. None of the Bonneville variants are particularly light but much easier to handle in every sense of the word than HD's. The Street Triple is slightly left field but a super bike that will really restore her confidence.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it Jim, is to get her into a dealer that's willing to let her test ride as many as possible back to back.

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 02:16:44 pm »
If it is a case of just being in love with a big twin, she might try a Thunderbird.  Still a big twin, but it sits lower than some other models, and although I haven't ridden one, I was told by a longtime rider that it is really surprising when you ride it.  I see a few diminutive women here riding big Harley's too.  Don't know what the attraction to them is myself, just not my style.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

tweedy-bunch