Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: wireless bike to bike comms  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Stumpyone

• Trophy Pro
  • One life.....live it
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
  • City / Town: Havant
wireless bike to bike comms
« on: October 27, 2014, 09:45:46 am »
Hi Guys,

On my old bike (CBF1000 - Great bike but you gotta move on sometime!!!!!) I had a Kenwood 3201 with an autocom logic wired system. I've seen the Autocom AIR (expensive) but wondered if there was any other way to go wireless in the helmet while maintaining radio comms with the Kenwood. Does anyone have any idea's around this?

cheers

Mark
TTSE 2017... Blue - the new Red!!!
CBF1000
Vmax
FJ1200
Maxim 650

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: wireless bike to bike comms
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 02:07:46 pm »
I don't know if you can get the Motorola MU350 over there or not, but some riders here in the states on another forum are using them bluetoothed to the helmet and they have a wireless PTT that can be used from any location.  The only problem you may encounter is that you may lose some range you're used to having with the Kenwood.  Another option is the Sena SM10R (R for radio) that may retransmit your Kenwood signal by bluetooth to a helmet.  Check the Sena website.  I don't use a radio with my Sena so I can't give you any specifics about the process, and there may be other ways to get there more economical than the Autocom.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 06:06:41 pm »
To answer you better, a little more information about the mission would be needed.  Bike-to-Bike comms can mean a few different things.

My wife rides her own bike so we have had several different comm systems.  None of them are Citizens Band (CB) or the British equivalent.  First we had the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 systems which worked well.  We next had the Nolan helmet integrated systems which had good range and battery life but suffered from a poor interface.  Now we have the Sena SMH-10 system which is built into our Bell helmets.  The Sena system is fantastic.  About a mile range and very easy to use interface.  Highly recommended.

If you are looking to replace the Kenwood, then the Sena unit is the way to go.  Now if you use the Kenwood as a long distance communicator or to general public comm radios (PMR 446?), then you can also plug the Kenwood into the Sena.  It just depends on what your mission is.

I hope that helps.
-------------------------------------
06 Triumph Rocket III
15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #609 (formerly 42146)

Offline Stumpyone

• Trophy Pro
  • One life.....live it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 09:02:00 pm »
Hey dragged,

Thanks for your advice..... Let me put a bit more meat on the bone....

Requirements:-
1. To speak to my pillion via Bluetooth headset (no wires)
2. To hear satnav directions in my Bluetooth intercom headset
3. Listen to the radio on my TTSE
4. Take and make phone calls
5. To make bike to bike radio comms to mates who do not have the same intercom but rely on PMR446 - in our case using the kenwood radio.

I have an autocom logic system that has the BM02 Bluetooth module. My kenwood is connected to that and I have a PTT switch that I'm fitting to the handlebars. Having read other posts on here I've reminded my self that the riders headset lead has to be plugged in to power the autocom unit.

So........the conundrum is..... How do I go Bluetooth (wireless) in our helmets with all the comms mentioned above while maintaining the ability to conduct bike to bike comms using my kenwood set up?

That's the mission!!!!

Any advice welcomed

Thanks
CBF1000
Vmax
FJ1200
Maxim 650

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 11:18:55 pm »
I highly recommend the Sena BT headsets. I have the SMH10 and its universal communication mode will talk to many other brands of BT communication units. I have used it with riders using both Scala Q4 and Nolan Ncom systems without issue. I also pairs to the Trophy without issue and both iPhone and Android phones.
Serial BMW rider

Offline Stumpyone

• Trophy Pro
  • One life.....live it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 05:01:48 pm »
Thanks guys.... My problem there is that my riding buddies don't have Bluetooth headsets.

The Wire3 autocom Bluetooth unit may be the answer. I'm gonna have a word with them at the motorcycle live show in the UK later this month.

Thanks very much for the recommendations

Stumpyone
CBF1000
Vmax
FJ1200
Maxim 650

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 12:40:57 am »
Easy solution; have your riding buddies stimulate the world economy and buy BT headsets!     :153:
Serial BMW rider

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 08:01:51 pm »
I'm in the process of getting sorted for Bike to Bike Comms using pre-owned bits and the help of an "expert user"....

But a thought just struck me - has anyone had any problems with using a UHF Radio on the TTSE - bearing in mind that radio transmissions might have an effect on the ABS and other OBC systems ?

Although I have a TTSE I have removed the Audio Unit as I don't listen to music or use the phone whilst riding and connect to my Sat Nav using the Bluetooth facility on my Schuberth C3 with the SRC System.

Any information or thoughts from current users would be gratefully received.

Thanks
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

tweedy-bunch