Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Explorer 1200 owner lurking-dreaming of wind protection not the weight  (Read 2579 times)

Offline Motor_psycho

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Gainesville,FL
Hi All,

I'm on the Tiger forum and have been thinking of a bike with more wind protection. I sat on one but I actually felt a bit heavy getting it off the kickstand as it was on a left leaning slope. I guess I will stick with the Tiger as it feels a lot lighter. I thought I would be doing a lot more off road stuff but find I'm on the superslab most of the time. I even put on road tires. I have a test ride planned anyway and might join up pending my test ride.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Explorer 1200 owner lurking-dreaming of wind protection not the weight
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 05:08:29 pm »
Hi Motor_psycho and  :400:  to the Forum !

Most Trophy Owners, if not all, will agree with me that once you take the Test Ride
you will be surprised at how light the Trophy is - once you get going.

It IS quite a heavy bike to get on and off the stand ( there's a certain "knack" to it ),
or to push / walk it around the driveway / garage etc,
but on the road it's surprisingly light, so the best thing to do is - Keep Riding !

Offline Trumpetman14

• Trophy Pro
  • You Gotta Love her!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wendell, NC
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 11:16:33 pm »
The Tiger has lower gearing and lighter weight so you will notice that the Trophy isn't quite as quick off the line. However, the Trophy is miles ahead of the Tiger in comfort, protection and long-haul pleasure! I've owned faster bikes but never better overall package than the Trophy. By the way, it is wicked fast if you rev him up and keep the RPM above 6K!!!
Trust me, yer gonna love that Trophy  -Dr Ron :038:
Growing old MAY BE mandatory...But
Growing up is OPTIONAL !!

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 02:23:46 am »
Welcome to the Forum :400:  To each their own but I can say that I've been a loyal Triumph rider for 40 plus years.  And for the last decade have been waiting for Triumph to come out with a shaft drive.  Despite the Explorer being available first I waited until the Trophy came out. Glad I did.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 06:15:41 am »
Hi Motor-Psycho and welcome.... don't dream of the wind protection.... get some! The Trophy has one of the most weather protected cockpits going in my opinion.

Yes standing still it is a heavyweight and could do with shedding a few pounds but as soon as you are moving it feels a much lighter bike and you don't notice the weight.

Take the test ride and you will see.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 08:11:54 am »
I actually find the Trophy easier to get off the side stand than the explorer I tried. Also it's low speed manners are very good. Seating position is really comfortable and on the go adjustable screen is a great feature that I use all the time. 

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 10:45:25 am »
I got caught in the rain on Sunday. It came down heavy at times. My jacket has a waterproof liner but I didn't have rain pants along. I rode for 2 hours and my legs never got wet. As long as I kept the speed above 35 mph the rain blew right over me.

Great protection from the elements.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 01:12:46 pm »
As the others have mentioned, you'll get the wind protection you want.  My last bike was a Thunderbird 1600 and even with a wind screen, long rides on the superslab would wear me down.  On the Trophy, it's nice and calm at freeway speeds and above.

The issues you should consider being in Florida is heat.  The wind protection is so good that the Trophy is very warm to ride above 80 degrees.  On hot days, I take my Bonneville out.

tweedy-bunch