Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: It is good to be home. When do we leave?  (Read 3049 times)

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
It is good to be home. When do we leave?
« on: October 28, 2014, 03:38:58 pm »
Our original plan called for a trip of close to 8000 miles. Due to my riding buddy having a family issue we were cut to around 5000 miles. I could have continued on to California on my own, but Jim and I have been riding together for close to 40 years and I felt it was only right to come home with him. California will be there next year. This is more of a report on the Trophy than it is a trip report. We did get from Ohio to Key West, Florida and then over to Arkansas and the Ozarks. 22 days, 4750 miles, 12 states, not a bad run.

I installed a new set of Avon Storm XM tires before I left. After heavy rain on the Blue Ridge Parkway and Virginia, near 90 degree heat in Florida, 40 degree temps in West Virginia, and touched down a foot peg or two in the Ozarks I must give them an A+. The front started cupping a bit at 4000 miles, but a two pound increase in pressure cured that. Run the front XM at 40, it is happier there.

The Trophy was great. Air Hawk R seat cushion was the only modification to my bike and it is without a doubt the most comfy bike I have ever had. Handling was superb for a bike this size. My buddy was on a much lighter Kawasaki Versys and commented a few times as to how well the TT must handle because he couldn't pull away in the twisties unless he really pushed hard.

According to the TT trip computer I rode 4674 miles. Used 86.5 gallons of gasoline. Averaged around 54 miles per gallon over the whole trip. The bike never skipped a beat or failed in any way. I now have put 19,036 miles on it in the ten months I have owned it. I am a happy camper.

Online Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
Re: It is good to be home. When do we leave?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 05:06:02 pm »
all sounds great! seem you had a good journey: congratulations  :821: wish you many, many more  :002:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 06:36:32 pm »
Sounds like you had a great trip... hope we get to see some more pics! :001:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 08:46:23 pm »
thanks for the report  :002:

I'm curious about the seat cushion.  Is this the one you have http://www.airhawk.net/airhawk-r.aspx?

Could you post a close up of the seat on the bike???

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 TTSE
  • City / Town: SWFL
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 09:41:55 pm »
Sounds like a nice trip there NavyDad.   Glad you had fun and stayed with your buddy.   That probably meant a lot to him.   I run 40 psi in the front and 42 in the rear on the Pirelli's, have 10059 miles (US) and they look to be able to make 13000 but we will see.   The front has some uneven wear (cupping) but the back is pretty even save a flat spot in the center but lots of rubber left everywhere.  Still think I will go with the PR4s when replacing time comes.   We came back from 5000 plus run and was glad to be home for about a week then wanted to go again, weird how that works, huh.

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 01:38:25 pm »
Yes, that is the cushion I have. I like it a lot. I have managed to run out a full tank of gas with out stopping for a break several times since I got the Air Hawk. I have tried many different custom seats over the years and although they were an improvement none of them were that great. I have a skinny, bony, tail section and anything I sit on gets uncomfortable rather quickly. This thing works for me. The secret is to use as little air as possible. If you feel like you are sitting on an air cushion, you have to much air in it. Mine appears to be totally deflated in the photos, but it has just a bit of air and is perfect for me. It will take a bit of trial and error to get it where it works best.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:10:08 am by NavyDad »

Offline Trophy 59

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE, XV750 Bobber
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 01:27:28 am »
Navydad, you're right about the amount of air needed in an Airhawk. You can blow the thing up like an air mattress, but the Airhawk is best with about 3 - 5% fill - only just a 'pfhfthtth' worth. That's how I found it as well.
Don't grow up, it's a trap...