Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TPMS  (Read 6654 times)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: TPMS
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 01:27:49 am »
As I mentioned if you research various GM car service manuals you should find a reference.  Also the problem was prevalent on early C5s so if you search forums like C5 Forum, Corvette Forum, etc you should easily find references.  I don't have pages bookmarked or I would provide you links.  It's just not that important to me. But it does make sense to have a limited range, otherwise you would have millions of TPMS systems broadcasting unlimited distances all over the place and I have to imagine that unless you have unlimited frequencies you will eventually have interferences.   
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 02:52:27 am »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
But it does make sense to have a limited range, otherwise you would have millions of TPMS systems broadcasting unlimited distances all over the place and I have to imagine that unless you have unlimited frequencies you will eventually have interferences.
All the TPMS I have seen use a digital subcode for just a few miliseconds  every few minutes (unless there is BIG change in PSI--then it's instant) that is almost impossible to cause problems to any other system. It would be much like getting a DNA match to a random person. That's also why you can have an 18 wheeler truck and then know   WHICH tire has a low PSI just by looking at the monitor receiver. And can read which psi in each tire location.

I have a TPMS on my six tire RV, and it's good for many more if I tow. Just like the TTSE says front and back, the RV shows me "rear left inside tire psi low"  or whatever as they are all programmed for different codes--but not for distance.

They have to be reprogrammed at the receiver  if moved to a different tire, but that has nothing to do with the distance. I think that is what you're confused with. If the receiver is not reprogrammed it will still work, but show the incorrest tire location. Much like the TTSE saying the front tire is low when it is really the rear tire. That would happen if the sensors were swapped without a reprogram of the ECU TPMS info.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 03:23:52 am »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]

I think that is what you're confused with.

-Don-  Reno, NV

I am not confused...but I am done with this conversation.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST