Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Brake Fluid  (Read 6948 times)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Brake Fluid
« on: October 29, 2014, 11:25:01 pm »
I've been using Motul brake fluid for years in all my bikes and Corvette.  High boiling point, last a long time, etc.  Most recently (last week) in my 955 Sprint ST I used

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/oils-lubricants/rbf-600-factory-line?f%5Bapplication%5D=144

I'm thinking about getting ambitious and changing the brake fluid in my Trophy which made me wonder if anyone has found a better brake fluid than Motul?
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
Re: Brake Fluid
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 12:33:35 pm »
It's my opinion that brake fluid is brake fluid.  The manufacturer has to meet the requisite DOT specifications and the premium brands just tend to have higher boiling points, but that's not normally an issue on street bikes.  On a track bike it might be an issue.  If you have been using Motoul and are happy with it, I think its unlikely you'd notice the difference with a "better' brand.

We used a hydraulic fluid with a much higher boiling point on the jets I used to work on in the Air Force, but that's a much harsher environment than our road bikes live in.

I currently use Brakebest from O'Reilly auto parts, but have used other brands and have never had an issue with brakes due to the fluid I used as long as I didn't wait too long to flush and refill the system.  I've bought a few bikes with frozen brakes from neglect, but that's not the fluid's fault.

I flush and change the fluid every two years regardless of what the manual says.  I can't see changing the fluid every 12K like the Gold Wing schedule advises.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:57:46 pm »
I agree with your comment about changing the fluid periodically but I'm afraid I don't agree regarding the quality.  Meeting the minimum requirements for DOT 4 is not enough for me to trust my life with.  Especially if I'm heating that fluid up going through the twisties.  Or if I don't get around to changing it on the two year mark.  I want that higher boiling point,  both wet and dry, and I want that resistance to moisture absorption.  Motul is supposed to be one of the best and I'm satisfied with it.  Just was looking for input if anyone else has experience with other premium brands. 
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 12:05:34 am »
I use a castrol fluid that seems similar to the motul. It seems there is normal dot 4 and higher performance dot 4 (higher boiling point)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 02:41:07 am »
Thanks for that saaz. I believe Castrol make more than one brake fluid. Do you have the specific name so I can research it's specifications?
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 04:44:54 am »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:49:47 am by saaz »

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 12:41:11 pm »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
I agree with your comment about changing the fluid periodically but I'm afraid I don't agree regarding the quality.  Meeting the minimum requirements for DOT 4 is not enough for me to trust my life with.  Especially if I'm heating that fluid up going through the twisties.  Or if I don't get around to changing it on the two year mark.  I want that higher boiling point,  both wet and dry, and I want that resistance to moisture absorption.  Motul is supposed to be one of the best and I'm satisfied with it.  Just was looking for input if anyone else has experience with other premium brands.

I hear what you're saying.  Have you ever heard of anyone having brake problems because of poor quality fluid?

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 01:13:12 pm »
w8d4it recuerda amigo,  que la herramienta dealertool tiene un apartado para el cambio de liquido de frenos y actua sobre el modulo de abs