Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Pain in the neck.  (Read 7182 times)

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
Pain in the neck.
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:33:18 pm »
I don't know if it's me or the change of riding position from the FJR to the TTSE but I've now done 600 miles and my neck/top of shoulders are killing me, I find that after a few miles my shoulders start lifting without realising it. Then the pain starts and I have to make an effort to drop my shoulders back down, after a few more miles I find my damn shoulders have gone back up again  :023:

It's a balmy 17deg in Devon this evening so I decided to do a few night miles as I've not ridden the TTSE in the dark before and wanted to check out the lights & stuff - and sure enough the neck starts aching after a few miles as a result of shoulders raising again.
I can't think why this happens and never had this problem before so I wondered if others have found similar or have any suggestions or... Is there a Doctor in the house?  :161:
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
Re: Pain in the neck.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 07:42:58 pm »
I had this same issue when I had my R1200RT. I realized that I was "tensing" my shoulders and had to break the habit of doing so. I started a routine of doing a mental check of: "relax... look at arm position and ensure it is relaxed... relax" After a few rides, no more problem.
Serial BMW rider

Offline RPDATA

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Whitby, ON
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 08:01:25 pm »
I also had the same issue when I went from my concours 1400 to the Trophy. I had to really focus on relaxing my shoulders/elbows and the pain never came back. 

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 08:30:59 pm »
No I'm generally relaxed, especially arms and shoulders, when riding.

As it has been advised check your wrist, arm, shoulders when you do your head/eye scan drills e.g. right mirror/wrist check, right scan/arm check, etc
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 08:55:06 pm »
Had the same problem when I bought my new Sprint GT.  Bit the bullet after 3 months and sold it, been fine since I bought the TTSE.

Change of bike I guess

Garry
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 11:21:07 pm »
I experienced the same thing on two BMW's, and 1200RT and the K1600, and even had it for a while on the Trophy.  Read an article in one of the cycle mags about riding with "soft hands", i.e. relaxed, flexible fingers, with no tight grip, and that, with relaxing the shoulders and elbows eliminated the shoulder tightness and pain immediately.  Shortly after that I talked to a friend that underwent training and race licensing and he mentioned that his instructor told him to relax his hands so that he could always wiggle his fingers while riding to avoid tensing up.  Sometimes I have to think about it, but it definitely helped me.  Doesn't cost a thing but some time to try it.
Ride safe.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 11:44:14 pm »
*Originally Posted by neojynx [+]
Had the same problem when I bought my new Sprint GT.  Bit the bullet after 3 months and sold it, been fine since I bought the TTSE.

Change of bike I guess

Garry

Exactly the opposite for me.  I'd been riding my Sprint ST for 11 years, my Thruxton for nearly 3 years when I bought the Trophy.   I guess I was just too used to and too comfortable riding leaning forward because riding the Trophy was really uncomfortable for the first 3000-4000 miles.  Now I've learned to adapt my riding style (and hence my comfort) to the particular bike I'm riding. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline TT Ashford

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 07:16:34 am »
had similar issues when first got TT after years of riding Rocket touring, same as most have said had to concentrate on relaxing, but I think a bike related issue may be just how lite the fly by wire throttle is in relation to a normal bike-let alone the heavy throttle on Rockets, really seemed to take some getting used to, could do with a little more resitance on it.

tweedy-bunch