Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Considering a Trophy  (Read 18228 times)

Offline NonEntity

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: In the market
  • City / Town: Lake Placid FL
Considering a Trophy
« on: November 02, 2014, 01:54:30 am »
I know asking if I should buy a Trophy on a Trophy forum is a silly exercise, but my questions are more specific than that.  Many of my google searches keep bringing me to this forum, but I have not been able to get answers to a couple of specific questions, not all of which are specific to the Trophy.

My wife and I have been riding for two years; this was her idea - we did the MSF class for our 20th anniversary (You have to love a woman who demands that you go buy motorcycles).  I was not hung up on having a Harley, but 9 out of ten used bikes I was finding locally were HD, the local wrench in our town had a strong preference for the brand, and I found an olive drab Nightster that I fell in love with.  That bike only lasted three months before it was stolen, by my wife, who told me I needed to go buy another one.  Since then I have been riding a 99 Road King and am tired of it's constant mechanical problems.

We went out of town to test drive a Thunderbird LT, as I thought that would be the closest to the bike I was familiar with, without having the letters H or D on it.  Everything they say about that new seat is true, it is quite cushy, but the bike did not really sing to me.  I remarked on the Trophy parked next to it, and the dealership sent me out on a second test drive.  When I returned, my wife's comment was "You were not grinning like that when you came back with the T-bird."

I had not considered anything but another cruiser based motorcycle before now.  In reading up on sports tourers in general and the Trophy in particular, I have a few questions.

Has anyone here transitioned from a cruiser to the Trophy?  How long did it take to adjust to the riding position? 

The Trophy seems to offer great wind protection.  However, I live in Florida.  Are there any forum members living in FL, and do you get enough wind to cool off?  Another FL question, since almost all our roads are straight and flat, do you find any real advantage to Trophy here?

Finally, does anyone ride in groups with cruiser riders?  I am wondering if there is any advantage to the increased potential performance of a sport tourer if I am limited to taking the rare curves at the speed of a Harley dresser?

Finally, the stereo does not seem to get much attention (aside from the audio not found bug) on the forums.  How does it sound at speed?  Can you hear it at highway speeds with the windshield in the low position?  I don't know if this will be a big deal for me or not.  I love music and I love riding, but I have never done both of them together. 

Thanks for having a great forum here.  I appreciate any input from more experienced riders.  At the moment, I am torn between a Trophy and a Victory bagger.  The Victory seems like the safe choice, but I spend a lot more time thinking about the Trophy.

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Re: Considering a Trophy
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 02:12:47 am »
I have a Wednesday night ride every week.   All are cruisers except a couple of us.  Also am a Patriot Guard member, same deal..  Most of the guys I travel with are on cruisers.    Curves.   If I want to go fast, I lead, then wait for them.   Cruiser bikes are usually capable of negotiating corners at a lot higher speed than we see them doing.   I think that's because, if you own a sport bike of any kind, fast corners are probably important to you and you work at learning that technique.  Cruiser owners are often more interested in the look and feel of the V-Twin and the coolness of ownership vs. the coolness of technical riding...

Could care less about the radio, but it is pretty good, save the fact it will drain your battery.   Mine took 32K miles and a year to first exhibit that bad behavior, but it is now...  I'd much rather hear the bike and the road sounds.  Plus, I don't have to turn the radio down, or pull out earplugs at a stop, and yell "WHAT????" when someone talks to me... (:>

I've never owned a cruiser but have put quite a few miles on my friends VTX1800.   It handles very well, just limited by ground clearance.  I like cruisers, but not enough to own one...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 03:27:29 am »
Greetings from a Trophy rider here in Florida, not far from Sebring in Jupiter. Perhaps I can address some of your questions.

Since taking delivery of my silver 2013 Trophy in January 2013, it now has just over 69K miles, including two cross-continental tours and I continue to enjoy riding it. My previous recent bike was a Kawasaki Concours-14. Since I'm single, I seldom ride with any passengers.

The most recent H-D I've ridden was a rented Sportster 1200 in 2010 in Colorado. I would never, ever buy one of those machines. However, I found no problem adjusting to the riding position. You probably would adapt to the Trophy or other sport-tourer equally easily, assuming your inseam is 30" or more.

Since I really like the cornering ability of sport-touring bikes, I haven't considered buying any cruiser-type bikes, nor a Goldwing.

The Trophy does offer very good wind protection. Mine came with the larger windscreen. Occasionally I've found the protection too good, particularly in very warm weather. Lowering the windscreen helps well enough, but exposes me to greater wind noise, flying creatures, and rain. Thus I've mounted a pair of BakerBuilt AirWings on my Trophy to direct greater airflow towards me in hot weather, or in cooler weather to block the airflow more. My posting with photos of the AirWings is at this link.

As for whether the cornering ability of the Trophy is wasted on the Florida roads, my answer would have to be a qualified "yes" depending on whether you visit some of the curvy roads between Lake Placid and Gainesville and west of Orlando. That said, I visit northern Georgia, western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee quite often, since I can get there in a day or so. The roads in that area allow the Trophy to show its nimble handling in the twisties and it allows me to refresh my riding skills before embarking on another cross-country tour. The quick performance and handling of the Trophy (and previously the Concours) let me quickly pass any slow groups of cruisers, motorhomes or cars, as soon as I get the (legal) opportunity.

The radio on my Trophy seldom gets any use, although it works fine. I prefer to use a Sena Bluetooth headset with noise-isolating ear buds to listen to music and navigation directions wirelessly from my Garmin Zumo 665 and thus better protect my aging hearing. However, when I ride with another rider who has a compatible Bluetooth headset, we link together in intercom mode and chat during the ride. In that case, I feed the nav audio through the Trophy's audio system to the speakers so that I don't miss any turns, since I can then communicate without interruption.

If you have next Saturday free, you and your wife would be welcome to meet my SE FL riding group on our lunch ride to the Deland Airport, just west of Daytona along US-92. I can show you my Trophy and discuss the issues with you over lunch. There are a couple other Trophy owners who often attend. You can find information about the event on our web site at this link. Some of us may ride north from Okeechobee along US-441 as we make our way on non-Interstate roads to Deland. If you decide to attend, please met me know later in the week and I can probably give you a better idea of the route my group will take. Other riders from the Lake Placid and Lakeland areas will probably attend also. Since several female riders often attend these events, either as solo riders or as passengers, your wife may enjoy attending with you.

If that event doesn't work out for you, the next one will be on November 15th at the Everglades Seafood Depot in Everglades City.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

Offline Simons Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 04:25:21 am »
I haven't been on the forum for awhile but can put my 2 cents worth in. We were in Lake Placid in Sept and enjoyed a day there but stayed in Stowe Vermont. Great countryside and a nice ferry across the lake to get to Placid.

Anyway I went from Tbird 1700 to a Trophy and had that for a year before I traded to my Explorer. The Explorer is lighter can have as much luggage, is just as comfy for the pillion, quicker through corners with slightly more upright riding position than the Trophy. The big thing is the Tex isn't as hot because the Trophy fairing is way to good for warmer climates in my opinion. I'm not knocking the Trophy as I enjoyed it and its a top class sports tourer. The Tex however isn't quite so 1 demensional and I have a lot more fun on mine than I did the Trophy. I bluetooth music to my headset so don't miss the radio but found the one on the Trophy to be great.

As far as going from the Bird to Trophy. The Trophy is way more comfy and you can have more fun in the twisties, carry luggage easily. Having said that the Bird was the coolest looking and sounding bike to own. Depends on what stage you are at with riding but I wont be going back to a cruiser. Hope this helps.
Simon

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 11:46:53 am »
Short answer.

When you got off the Victory after the test ride did you grin the same way as when the Trophy test ride ended?

My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 12:07:48 pm »
Non,

Compare the HD and Trophy, or the Victory and Trophy. Which did you enjoy the most. I'm surprised you got through the test ride with any doubts. Most of us didn't. I was actually laughing with enjoyment on my test ride.

Transition from a cruiser to a sport tourer. I made the transition 4 years ago, obviously not directly to a Trophy. The transition was a breeze and my back thanked me for it.

I've only had the radio on a few times. It's either the engine and wind noise or my wife on the bluetooth headset.

One of the reasons I got the Trophy was for the superior protection from the elements. Last Sunday I went out when the nice folks at weather.com said there was a 0% chance of rain. I didn't take rain pants though my jacket has a rain liner built in.  It rained most of the two hours I was out. As long as I was going 35 mph or greater my pants stayed dry. That said on very hot days I have wished for better airflow, but I have appreciated the protection many more times.

The only disadvantage of riding with guys on cruisers is that you'll have a far superior motorcycle and they would all be jealous.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 02:39:01 pm by Bludy L »
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 01:42:53 pm »
*Originally Posted by Simons Trophy [+]
I haven't been on the forum for awhile but can put my 2 cents worth in. We were in Lake Placid in Sept and enjoyed a day there but stayed in Stowe Vermont. Great countryside and a nice ferry across the lake to get to Placid.

Anyway I went from Tbird 1700 to a Trophy and had that for a year before I traded to my Explorer. The Explorer is lighter can have as much luggage, is just as comfy for the pillion, quicker through corners with slightly more upright riding position than the Trophy. The big thing is the Tex isn't as hot because the Trophy fairing is way to good for warmer climates in my opinion. I'm not knocking the Trophy as I enjoyed it and its a top class sports tourer. The Tex however isn't quite so 1 demensional and I have a lot more fun on mine than I did the Trophy. I bluetooth music to my headset so don't miss the radio but found the one on the Trophy to be great.

As far as going from the Bird to Trophy. The Trophy is way more comfy and you can have more fun in the twisties, carry luggage easily. Having said that the Bird was the coolest looking and sounding bike to own. Depends on what stage you are at with riding but I wont be going back to a cruiser. Hope this helps.

They were talking about Lake Placid, Florida, not Lake Placid, New York   ;)
Serial BMW rider

Offline Turboschwinn

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Waynesboro, Virginia
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 02:58:10 pm »
*Originally Posted by NonEntity [+]
Has anyone here transitioned from a cruiser to the Trophy?  How long did it take to adjust to the riding position? 

The Trophy seems to offer great wind protection.  However, I live in Florida.  Are there any forum members living in FL, and do you get enough wind to cool off?  Another FL question, since almost all our roads are straight and flat, do you find any real advantage to Trophy here?

Finally, does anyone ride in groups with cruiser riders?  I am wondering if there is any advantage to the increased potential performance of a sport tourer if I am limited to taking the rare curves at the speed of a Harley dresser?

Finally, the stereo does not seem to get much attention (aside from the audio not found bug) on the forums.  How does it sound at speed?  Can you hear it at highway speeds with the windshield in the low position?  I don't know if this will be a big deal for me or not.  I love music and I love riding, but I have never done both of them together. 

Thanks for having a great forum here.  I appreciate any input from more experienced riders.  At the moment, I am torn between a Trophy and a Victory bagger.  The Victory seems like the safe choice, but I spend a lot more time thinking about the Trophy.

I'll try to answer your questions in the order you asked them.

1. I went from a couple of cruisers (650 V-Star, which is not all that big engine wise, but 9 feet long in stature; and a Harley Street Glide which I rode in FL.)  The cruiser position is more feet forward than the Trophy for sure and I felt like my back was slouched all the time on the cruisers.  With feet pulled back my knees ache after a bit (for which I'm trying to find solutions) but I can sit upright and that feels way better and allows a better position to get into the curves better; it's a better sitting position for more spirited riding. It didn't take any time at all to adjust because I was ready for the change.

2. While I don't live in FL, I spend a good bit of time there and have ridden there as well.  I had a Harley Street Glide in FL and found it was a great bike for cruising the highways at speed.  Didn't really miss the curves on that bike, but Harley suspension is made for straight up cruising in my opinion.  The Trophy on the other hand, can do both really well.  I really enjoy cruising interstate and straight roads on the Trophy and when it's time to do the twisties, a flick (a few, actually) of the switch and you can have good stiff damping.

3. As for the heat, I can see where more wind might be good, but then again, a hot wind may be worse.   I've yet to find that it's too hot to ride, but a cooling vest like this one http://www.twistedthrottle.com/macna-dry-cooling-vest] [url]http://www.twistedthrottle.com/macna-dry-cooling-vest[/url] might be the ticket there...personally, I can live with the heat because where I live now offers more cool weather than really hot so the protection from the Trophy is where it's at for me.  My opinion is that riding gear makes the difference when it comes to comfort in hot or cool weather; got to have the right stuff for the conditions.

4. I do a lot of group riding and our group is very eclectic.  we have a lot of cruisers, metric and H-D, some sport bikes, sport tourers and Goldwings, along with KLR's and other adventure bikes like BMW's and V stroms.  We have rules for the group and stick together but there are times when the sport bikes hang back a bit and then play "catch up" while the sport tourers are more in the front of the group leading the way...it's a real mix and everyone has patience and understands each rider is responsible for his or her own ride.  In other words everyone rides at their limit and finds their place in the group.  To answer your question: The advantage is when you break off solo...what kind of riding do you want to be able to do?  When riding with a group, I believe one needs to be "in the group."

5. The radio.  It has it's good points and not so good points... It can be heard at speed with the windscreen in the low position, but it's not like being in a car.  I think the speakers are decent and the amps decent, but the acoustics are terrible with an open cockpit...you lose so much. The bass seems to garble the sound, the treble and mid-range do little to alleviate the issue, and mostly it's distracting because I'm thinking it should be different..."why isn't it like it is in my car?"  :084: and then, BAM!  reality: "oh yeah, I'm riding.  I need to pay attention to what I'm doing..." 

While you can hear the tunes, if it's not one you've heard before you can't really get a feel for the song.  If it is one you've heard before your mind can "fill in the blanks" but it's not for the audiophile for sure.  I do like the self lowering volume feature it has so it's not so obnoxious when you stop but it doesn't really lower the volume until you're almost at stop...it could lower it a bit faster in my opinion, but it does have different settings for this... 

Mostly, I listen to the news on my commute home and I get most of what they are saying, but I miss some stuff too...probably the really important stuff too!  :138: I'm looking into better headphones; I've yet to find any of those that mirror the quality of being in a car...it's time to face the music...motorcycles are for riding, not listening to concerts  :169:

Lastly, I'll put in a plug for the Trophy over the Victory (I've no experience with the Vic by the way) My experience however was that I came from an Explorer before the Trophy and was considering both when I bought the Explorer...couldn't get my mind off the Trophy but I bought the Explorer because I thought it was what I wanted (a bike that can do it all!) but in reality I knew I didn't want to do it all, I wanted to do what the Trophy does best (95% of my riding is on road) good road manners, good protection, gadgets to play with, power to spare, and does it all with ease!

Go with your heart, it knows what you want. Good luck.  :028:

tweedy-bunch