Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Adios Compadres!  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Northkaibab

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Akron, OH
Adios Compadres!
« on: November 02, 2014, 02:43:56 pm »
First, let me say that the members of this Forum are the nicest and most helpful group of folks out there! I've learned a huge amount about the Trophy SE and cool places to ride it. I've also felt acceptance, kindness and friendship from around the world in relation to my (relatively few) posts.

That said, I'm somewhat sadly moving on. After riding the Trophy 13,000 miles in a little over a year and giving a lot of thought to the experience, I've decided to return to the Super Tenere, which is the bike I traded in for my Trophy.

Owning a Trophy is like riding a Thoroughbred, and Triumph triples are truly amazing! In comparison, the Super Ten is more like a mule, stable and solid. But its a mule I can ride on freeways followed by dirt roads and modest single-tracks. You can load it till the tires sag and never know the difference...a grunty mule of a bike.

I started thinking about this on my Blue Ridge / Appalachians ride a few weeks ago. Despite a lot of rain, I managed to camp out most nights and I enjoyed the camping at least as much as the riding!  But while the campgrounds on paved roads were still pretty crowded, there were all sorts of "primitive" campgrounds on dirt roads that I didn't feel comfortable riding to on the Trophy. Closer to home, Ohio's Amish country, and the forests of southeast Ohio and northern Pennsylvania are literally full of dirt and gravel roads to explore.

My Forum name, "Northkaibab" is a reference to one of the best wilderness trails in the US Grand Canyon.  I love being in wild places and the Tenere extends my ability to reach them in ways the Trophy could not.  So it came down to my riding style, and which bike was a better tool. I'll miss the kindness and helpfulness of folks on this Forum and I'll probably miss the Trophy as well. But I pick up the Tenere on Monday, and it is time to focus on where that can take me.

Adios
Mike

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
Re: Adios Compadres!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 03:59:12 pm »
don't say "adios" please, goodbye might be more appropriate, who knows one day you may come back in the Triumph family with an Explorer? Whatever you decide it has been great to have you on board and we are looking forward to you stopping by from time to time, you'll always be welcome here, and more importantly ride safe!
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 04:11:24 pm »
See you around northkaibab.... whatever you ride its about enjoying it and staying safe.... have a great one! :821:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 08:42:24 pm »
Cheers Mike  :821:

Sorry to see you go - stay safe, whatever you ride  :028:

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 09:40:16 pm »
 :821: to you, and ride safe.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 03:04:35 am »
Sorry to see you go. As Verdun says come back for a visit every now and then
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 01:24:10 am »
When I was shopping for a bike to replace my ten year old Beemer I narrowed it down to the Trophy or a Tenere. Because my wife travels with me most of the time the Trophy won the toss. I don't regret that decision a bit, but I still have a soft spot for the Yamaha. If Yamaha ever decides to bring a 600 to 800cc Tenere to the U.S. I will certainly have one to keep the Trophy company. Good luck and maybe our paths will cross in eastern Ohio sometime.

tweedy-bunch