movement/play at the rear wheel by digital
[Today at 03:48:24 pm]

Rear Light by STJIM
[Today at 03:12:30 pm]

Ramp loading the trophy into a pu truck bed by Dinty
[Today at 02:10:31 pm]

Western U.S. Adventure by digital
[Today at 01:38:44 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: We and Cold, solutions please.  (Read 4773 times)

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
We and Cold, solutions please.
« on: November 07, 2014, 03:10:39 pm »
Overnight I rode to Great Ormond Street London and obviously got wet during the 600 mile ride and two bits of kit need tweaking and any input would be appreciated.  I wore a Shoei Neotec flip front helmet and my Aerostich Roadcrafter.  I had LD long johns and long sleeve top with RAB polartec pants and jacket.  I also wore Gerbing heated gloves and socks with Altberg Hogg High All Weather boots.
1.    Neck Area.
The new Aerostich Roadcrafter is more waterproof than my old one was, new waterproof zippers work but I get my Buff wicking the wet down my chest.  Is there a waterproof collar that works?
2.   Heated gear wiring
The co-axial connectors kept parting company, any slight ‘tug’ on the wires would disconnect them, there appears to be no resistance at all.  Is there some sort of securing device someone uses?
Has anyone got a solution for me?
Later
Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: We and Cold, solutions please.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 03:41:46 pm »
I use a "cold killers" maxi neck tube.  This seems to work well and is waterproof.  Not as warm as expected but you can easily use a neck tube underneath.

As for heated gear I use optimate type connectors that have a positive lock.  I wired it into the battery directly and left the connector near the front end so I can easily plug it in over the tank.  This does not help if there are already connectors of a different type but perhaps if it is near the steering head then at least you can keep an eye on it.  Perhaps some velcro to hold both parts together would still allow 'walking away' forgetting you were plugged in without bringing the bike with you?  I did try to make a magnetic connector so that when the ignition was turned off the connector fell apart but could not get the bits small enough.

Just checked and the ones I use are the maxi tube 2013.  They have a small grill in front of the mouth area to aid breathing (always useful).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:56:43 pm by john348 »

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 07:08:17 pm »
Thanks John, great response.

Later

Dave

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 10:45:28 pm »
G'day Dave,

Immigrate to Queensland mate +30C, sunshine, bugger-all rain here :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :152:
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 08:49:10 am »
Thanks for the invitation Travelling2bob, tempting, very tempting but I think I'll stay in South Shields.

You have a G'Day now.

Later

Dave

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 10:26:20 am »
*Originally Posted by Travelling2bob [+]
G'day Dave,

Immigrate to Queensland mate +30C, sunshine, bugger-all rain here :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :152:

I have seen Henry Cole ride Australia 150 miles without a bend  :180: I would rather be cold and having fun  :152:

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 11:20:26 am »
*Originally Posted by malcolm [+]
I have seen Henry Cole ride Australia 150 miles without a bend  :180: I would rather be cold and having fun  :152:

G'day Mal,

Yes the roads out in the G.A.F.A. (Great Australian F@$k All) are dead straight and boring. However Australia, a land of true diversity, does have road curves in quite a few places.

G'day Dave,

I've successfully used a waterproof and windproof collar from Kathmandu (not too sure you have this outdoor trekking store in the Old Dart). Cheap as chips but does the trick of preventing that uncomfortable trickle down the front into the nether regions.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 12:11:34 pm »
Seems a shame to me that we have all these bike sockets everywhere to plug heated stuff in to - but there's not much stuff out there to just plug-and-go :110:

Defeats the object a bit me thinks...
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.